Blizzard now owns the copyright to all of your custom Warcraft 3: Reforged content

Polycount

Staff
Why it matters: Though Blizzard is a bit of a controversial figure now, in truth, many of the gaming world's favorite titles wouldn't exist today if it weren't for the company's past efforts. The original DOTA started as a MOBA mod for Blizzard's original Warcraft 3 and later spawned an entire Valve-owned franchise.

Unfortunately, we might not see a situation like that one occur again with Blizzard's recently-launched Warcraft 3 "Reforged" remake. A recent change to Blizzard's Warcraft 3 Reforged Acceptable Use policy ensures the company owns all copyrights to any content created in custom games.

"Custom Games are and shall remain the sole and exclusive property of Blizzard. Without limiting the foregoing, you hereby assign to Blizzard all of your rights, title, and interest in and to all Custom Games, including but not limited to any copyrights in the content of any Custom Games," Blizzard's Acceptable Use Policy reads.

The Policy goes on to state that, if for some reason (perhaps due to local or federal law) you are unable to grant Blizzard the aforementioned rights, the company owns an "exclusive, perpetual, worldwide, unconditional," and "royalty free" (not to mention "irrevocable") license to use your content in whatever capacity it sees fit. This means it could also order you to cease and desist the distribution and development of a project at will.

To be clear, not all of this language is new -- the bit about mandatory copyright transfers is the main fresh addition to the Acceptable Use Policy. However, we wanted to include some context for those who haven't seen the policy before.

It's not hard to understand why Blizzard has made this decision. If a player has a particularly good idea, of course Blizzard will desire control of it. The last thing they want is another developer, such as Valve, to snag the idea and its copyrighted material (such as custom characters or art) and spin it off into a new, competing project.

Whether or not this newly-changed policy is morally or ethically "right" is for you to decide, and we'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter in the comments.

Permalink to story.

No problem, it's definitely the last game I've bought from Greedzard. They also removed the LAN option and so on. I wonder who will buy their games after the HK scandal, Diablo immortal and all the lies with Warcraft Reforged

No problem, it's definitely the last game I've bought from Greedzard. They also removed the LAN option and so on. I wonder who will buy their games after the HK scandal, Diablo immortal and all the lies with Warcraft Reforged

I agree with what you said, but alas, we all know who will buy their games. Everyone but a scarce few, and Blizzard won't even notice the difference.

That's fine. We can play your little lawyer game, and any other company's game. We will make our own EULA to something as "If Blizzard continues to allow myself to use their said resources, I have the right to revoke any EULA they have provided. This EULA may also be changed to whatever I want at any time, without notice. I also reserve the right to all of their executive's first born sons. I have spoken". This is what companies are doing to us. Seems fit to throw it back at them.

I regretted pre-ordering the day it was announced after all the HK ****, but luckily they refunded me no questions asked today. Now if only I could get the old WC3 client back. F@#$ Blizz!

What could have been worse than creating a dud of a game was actually removing a ton of features from a perfectly functional Warcraft 3 reign of chaos / the frozen throne game: nothing was left untouched, a ton of useful stuff was removed and so on. Blizzard seems to purposely create a ton of controversy, directly disposing of old game clients and forcing everyone to use a new battle net devoid of a ton of features...

I bought it and thought it would be better then sc2, I was very wrong, its a cheap hd remake

I will probably still look into getting D4 when it drops... other than that, Blizzard doesn't have the appeal for me than it used to.

Although... if the created an RPG Star Craft game I'd be tempted to look into that.

I am sure it will be a great game but I am very sad about the no dota, no lan part... This is so disappointing, I had big hopes for a new dota allstars

Blizzard has no claim. They do not have the right, ethically, morally or legally, to unilaterally take ownership of something they did not create. This is nit-witted thinking of some hapless corporate stooge. Blizzard needs to rid themselves of such people ASAFP.

That's fine. We can play your little lawyer game, and any other company's game. We will make our own EULA to something as "If Blizzard continues to allow myself to use their said resources, I have the right to revoke any EULA they have provided. This EULA may also be changed to whatever I want at any time, without notice. I also reserve the right to all of their executive's first born sons. I have spoken". This is what companies are doing to us. Seems fit to throw it back at them.

My gut tells me they will outspend you in court and you will lose.

But keep fighting the good fight.

My gut tells me they will outspend you in court and you will lose.

But keep fighting the good fight.

Thus my post in a previous article... A company cannot intimidate you by lawyers priced out of your affordable range. A company with a trillion dollars cannot spend $100 million on lawyers to strongarm the little guy. Companies will win no matter what. This is what happens with frivolous lawsuits and is a cancer on society. The MPAA and RIAA does this in spades - intimidate the public.

Just received the refund for Warcraft III Reforged. I'll buy it again when it delivers (with LAN/functional campaign, full graphic models as promised in 2018 and so on). Which is probably never. Also, I'll never get Diablo IV (microtransactions = no buy). Overwatch - never bought the first one, never will buy the second one. This was Blizzard's last time it fooled me into pre-ordering. They can go bankrupt yesterday for all I care. I only play Starcraft II and Remastered (hope they won't destroy those, too).
1.4 on Metacritic. LOL. This is the new "Alien: Colonial Marines" or "Star Wars Battlefront 2:
SW: BF - 1.4 vs Warcraft 3: Reforged: 0.7 - WOW. I think this is the LOWEST score ever for a newly released game. This is worse than Fallout 76...
Laughable. Pathetic. Blizzard.

I feel you, man. I mean, blizzard is the heart and soul of w3 mods. I played some turn based games that are resemblant to the old story, lore, etc which was Warcraft's... and is not so great, is like you don't understand those heroes... What is a tank, a mage, or anything. The rock, paper scissors apply, but without the lore is less interesting. I did not play valve's game just because I felt that it was missing something, like a product without a soul. Defense of the ancients, afaik was a mission from Warcraft...

Blizzard could take a stand, as it was missed from some of the movement it created in its absence. They could say it was their community who got inspired by and left in complete awe, thus much of the credit goes on blizzard's legacy. Why is steam such a powerful platform? Because is an early bird and has legacy. Imo blizzard should have been much more involved in the industry than it is right now.

Last edited:
Back