Blizzard reveals Diablo 4 launch PC system requirements: 32GB RAM & RTX 3080 for 4K

midian182

Staff member
Highly anticipated: Every day brings us closer to the full launch of Diablo 4. With that release date drawing near, Blizzard has posted the PC system requirements for the game. The good news is that the minimum specs are almost potato-like in their demands, allowing the action RPG to be played on a wide range of machines. If, however, you want to enjoy it in glorious 4K, you'll need at least an RTX 3080 or Radeon RX 6800XT along with 32GB of RAM.

Diablo fans are counting the days until the fourth game's June 6 release date. Now, Blizzard has revealed what kind of graphical experience users can expect based on their PC hardware.

As one would expect, running Diablo IV at 1080p native resolution/720p render resolution with low graphics settings at 30 FPS will be possible on many low-end systems:

• Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K or AMD FX-8350
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 or AMD Radeon R9 280
  • DirectX: Version 12
  • Storage: SSD with 90 GB available space
  • Internet: Broadband Connection

Blizzard says that even if your PC doesn't meet those requirements – it might only have HDDs or integrated graphics – Diablo 4 will attempt to run. However, the game experience may be significantly diminished.

Moving onto what Blizzard calls the medium spec requirements, which are for playing at 1080p, medium graphics, and 60 FPS, the demands are still pretty forgiving:

• Processor: Intel Core i5-4670K or AMD Ryzen 1300X
  • Memory: 16 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 or AMD Radeon RX 470

Next are the high-spec requirements. The only in-game difference between these and the medium specs is that the graphics jump from medium to high - it's still 1080p and 60 FPS - yet the CPU and GPU requirements increase substantially:

• Processor: Intel Core i7-8700K or AMD Ryzen 2700X
  • Memory: 16 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 or AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT

Finally, a beefy PC is required for those who want to see how good Diablo 4 looks at 4K with ultra graphics settings and at 60 FPS. In addition to requiring at least an RTX 3080/Radeon RX 6800 XT, you'll need 32GB of RAM in your system. That's the same amount recommended for Myst developer Cyan's new steampunk game, Firmament.

• Processor: Intel Core i7-8700K or AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
  • Memory: 32 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 40 Series for fully supported DLSS3 or AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT

If you want to find out how well your system copes with Diablo 4's demands, players will get one last chance during the Server Slam weekend that takes place between May 12 and 14. There will be various rewards on offer during the event that players can take into the full release.

Permalink to story.

Never ever played a diablo game because of top down view, non third person/ first person, its why I really like and hate runescape at the same moment, u think I should try it?

This game had some serious memory leaking issues in beta. I hope they fixed that. I was using over 20GB of RAM for 4K High Textures, but when you knocked the textures down, it fixed the memory leak. It was a stuttering mess with high textures even though I still had 12GB of available system ram. It ran much better with the medium textures. I was running on a 3080.

Also, the medium textures were a huge downgrade. I was surprised by how much worse they looked.

Never ever played a diablo game because of top down view, non third person/ first person, its why I really like and hate runescape at the same moment, u think I should try it?
Try Diablo II Resurrected, that's actually good.

You should try the Server Slam beta weekend. I really enjoyed my time playing the first two beta weekends. I found the gameplay speed to be perfect and really got carried away with the character customization. They've also gone back to more of that dark and gloomy look and feel that the original game had that were lacking in 2 and 3 (I play Diablo 2: Resurrected regularly).

I haven't looked forward to a game this much in years and may actually be sucker enough to preorder the game. This is coming from someone that NEVER preorders or generally even pays more than $20 for a game.

What the hell is with 32GB of ram all of a sudden....
I've been using 32GB for a long time but it's getting ridiculous now...
When you look at all the stuff running on your machine, it eats up memory. Granted, idle tasks are actively using memory, but it just takes a second to activate it and you're swapping data into and out of memory. All those background tasks eat up memory. The developers aren't trying to make their products run in minimal memory because, generally speaking, it's pretty cheap to add memory. I'm putting 32G DDR4 into my gaming laptop for just $60 and it's TeamGroup ram which is pretty decent.

You should try the Server Slam beta weekend. I really enjoyed my time playing the first two beta weekends. I found the gameplay speed to be perfect and really got carried away with the character customization. They've also gone back to more of that dark and gloomy look and feel that the original game had that were lacking in 2 and 3 (I play Diablo 2: Resurrected regularly).

I haven't looked forward to a game this much in years and may actually be sucker enough to preorder the game. This is coming from someone that NEVER preorders or generally even pays more than $20 for a game.
Don't do it! fight that preorder urge!

When you look at all the stuff running on your machine, it eats up memory. Granted, idle tasks are actively using memory, but it just takes a second to activate it and you're swapping data into and out of memory. All those background tasks eat up memory. The developers aren't trying to make their products run in minimal memory because, generally speaking, it's pretty cheap to add memory. I'm putting 32G DDR4 into my gaming laptop for just $60 and it's TeamGroup ram which is pretty decent.
All that stuff! All those background tasks!!...noobs

There should be a version of the Drake equation to estimate future sales of a game:

Future Sales = R x G x L x P

R = % people with that amount of RAM looking who are still looking for a game to justify it all.
G = % people with a good enough GPU but willing to play a game that looks like it's from the 80's.
L = the number of people who actually like this type of game (I suspect they've all replied on this thread).
P = % people willing to pay the purchase price (that will be justified by the specs required).

What the hell is with 32GB of ram all of a sudden....
I've been using 32GB for a long time but it's getting ridiculous now...

I'm just guessing it's for the 4k textures but I'm not sure. If it was for textures you would probably want more memory on the videocard itself as VRAM vs system memory. But it probably falls back to system memory if you have like an old videocard with a max of 8GB VRAM.

My last theory is that Blizzard is just hopping on the bandwagon to create the illusion of the game being super powerful like the "other" games that recently made headlines for requiring 32GB of memory for optimal performance.

Returnal (dumbest name ever), Myst, and the Last of Us have all recently announced 32GB as the recommended amount of system memory for optimum performance.

I'm kinda forced to wonder just how much of a positive visual difference it would make to play a game like Diablo at 4K. It's not exactly supposed to be a graphical masterpiece. :laughing:

Min specs: who has an SSD and only 8 GB RAM? Seriously.
I have an SSD and only 8GB RAM. I'll admit I don't play the latest and greatest AAA games as my 1060 can't handle it. I do a lot of Java game development on the PC (both traditional arcade style games and board games), I have editors open, music programs playing, a browser with a dozen or so tabs but I don't see any low memory warnings. I thought about expanding my RAM to 16GB but then wondered what for?

I guess if you give developers laptops with 32GB then they'll just use the lot and assume that all their customers will have the same set up. Maybe they should examine the steam surveys and give developers average spec set ups? Maybe a little higher to account for development times and the general improvement of hardware over time.

I'll admit I should build a new PC but the cost of new GPUs has been a stumbling block for me. I don't want to spend $$$ on a GPU when I'm only mildly interested in the latest AAA games and, without a new GPU, I can't see the point in upgrading the rest of my system.

So yeah, seriously.

I have an SSD and only 8GB RAM. I'll admit I don't play the latest and greatest AAA games as my 1060 can't handle it. I do a lot of Java game development on the PC (both traditional arcade style games and board games), I have editors open, music programs playing, a browser with a dozen or so tabs but I don't see any low memory warnings. I thought about expanding my RAM to 16GB but then wondered what for?

I guess if you give developers laptops with 32GB then they'll just use the lot and assume that all their customers will have the same set up. Maybe they should examine the steam surveys and give developers average spec set ups? Maybe a little higher to account for development times and the general improvement of hardware over time.

I'll admit I should build a new PC but the cost of new GPUs has been a stumbling block for me. I don't want to spend $$$ on a GPU when I'm only mildly interested in the latest AAA games and, without a new GPU, I can't see the point in upgrading the rest of my system.

So yeah, seriously.
Well I think your 1060 can handle the games, maybe not on the ultra high setting but you will still be able to play them, I have a friend playing new AAA games on his old system(old...), and he is quite happy for him it's about the story not so much the flashy graphics, you don't always need the latest and greatest hardware to enjoy a good game. and I do agree that everything is very overpriced these days.

Why 32GB RAM?
Because more and more games needs it, when you max out settings. Applications too. You will get smoother gameplay, higher minimum fps, etc. Alot of games has 32GB recommended for ultra settings now. This has been true for years. Even GTA 5 shows higher minimums with 32GB instead of 16GB...

16GB is bare minimum for a gaming PC today. RAM is cheap anyway.

16GB today is what 8GB was 2 years ago. It still runs most games, however you will see worse performance in alot of the newer ones.

I've had 32GB for years, not solely because of games. Difference is huge. Especially if you run with 25+ tabs daily + several apps open. With just 8-16GB you constantly swap, pagefile is used alot meaning SSD is involved and CPU does work / wasted cycles + bandwidth. This lowers perf, obviously. System generally feels way more snappy with 32GB, probably because of no pagefile involvement.

Last edited:
Me. I have 2 SSD's and 8 GB of DDR3 and I'm neither poor, nor noobish, just obsolete.
What are you using it for? My plex box is more current than that.

I found some old DDR3 in my closet last year and thought about making it a keychain but ultimately just threw it away. Maybe I just upgrade faster than most people but I eventually run out of things for my trickle down computers to do and no one wants an old desktop anymore even if its free.

Back