Blocking downloading in Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mretzloff

Is there anyway I can make it so Vista requires a password to be entered in order to download or install a program? If Vista cannot do this, I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could link me to a program that can do so.

Thank you for any help.

Well just viewing a webpage is actualy downloading.
So to distinguish between what you want to download and what you don't want can be difficult (automatically)

You should start by using a personal firewall, that can block harmful sites and things. And you can set it up to block specific sites (and therefore downloads)

Otherwise I'm open for suggestion from others as well.

I meant downloading, as in clicking a download button to download a program. Is there anyway to require a password to do so?

some routers can be configured to restrict specific sites and that can be overridden with a password.

notice how restrictive the configuration is: must know what to block before you can
ask for an override.

like Kimsland said, even browsing a webpage is techically a download.

the only way I could see this working is using a specialized proxy server
configured to your needs and prompting for non-html access.

LOTS of programming there.

Jobeard what happened to Allow Downloads in the Advanced Internet Explorer's settings? Strangely I haven't checked in there since IE6, but this setting is now missing (users were able to tick, do not allow download; I'm sure of it)

Oh sorry, found it:

Tools menu
Internet Options
Security Tab
Custom Level button.

In Security Settings dialog box, I scroll down to Downloads category, and in here I can enable or disable File Download

Not being a lover of IE, that config is not emblazzened into my wee brain.

I would think that setting would trigger excessive prompting ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back