Blue Screen of Death please help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok i keep getting the blue screen of death on average once a week. This is what it says below:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you have seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screens appears again follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware and software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufactorer for any windows updates you may need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disbable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.

TECH INFO: ***STOP: 0x0000009c (0x00000004, 0x80545ff0, 0xb2000000, 0x00070f0f)

This is a brand new computer and all software and hardware was installed right, so i dont really know whats going on.
Iv been into the BIOS of the computer but cant find caching or shadowing options anywhere in there.
Maybe the motherboard dont have these options?!! Also i have all the lastest windows updates for XP.

Any help on this matter would be very helpful.

Below i have listed my computer spec and what was running when it crashed. thank you

COMPUTER SPEC:
Kingston 512MB DDR PC3200 X2
AMD ATHLON 64BIT PRO 3000+
CHAINTECH SK8T800 SUMMIT (SKT754-A64 SOU/LAN/SATA
SOUND BLASTER LIVE! 24BIT
MAXTOR 6Y06010-30GB
ST320410A- 60GB
XP PRO SP2

WHAT WAS RUNNING WHEN COMPUTER CRASHED
MSN 6.2
FIREFOX EXPLORER
WINAMP PRO
WINTV - NOVA PCI-T-90002

Cheers

phil......

philuk, Problems like this can stem from several different reasons.(ie...sound card, CPU, Memory Module, or something as Over clocking your system. Just because it is new doesn't mean you didn't get a "LEMON" I have had a few of them myself in the past, that is until I built my own. ;)
Below is the AMD web-site that addresses some of these problem.

AMD

Hey

The computer isnt over clocked and i did build it my self...

I do not really understand the link you gave me!! What is the information at that link trying to tel me etc etc..

Thanks for the link and has anyone else got any ideas!?

phil..

philuk, The link I posted adresses some of the problems that are linked to the code you posted STOP: 0x0000009c (0x00000004, 0x80545ff0, 0xb2000000, 0x00070f0f). As for your system being O/C I was not stating that it was just that this can cause the error code you posted. As for building your own, good deal! You had me fooled by the statment you made This is a brand new computer and all software and hardware was installed right It sounded like you purchased this system, my bad. If you go to the link above and read the articles it might have some info on your problem.

Also try "MS" It contains an article on your error code.

Thats ok...

Im really not getting to far with the link though.....

Im thinking it could be either my power supply isnt good enough, getting to hot in my computer but i have 2 fans! Or my sound blaster live 24 bit card as it happens when winamp is on everytime!

phil..

philuk, both links I posted address those as possible problems. If you have another Audio card or PS try this first. I'm sure you will work it out. It is frustrating when these problems come up, being in the business that I'm in I see it all the time. I have one sitting over next to me thats been there for a year now. I became so tired of trying to find out the problem with it that I am just going to replace the MB, CPU, and Mem in it. Keep me posted on the out come with your System.

Hey
I dont have another sound card, so i would have to hope that the on board sound works, if i took the sound card out.....

cheers
phil.

Bug Check 0x9C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

The MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION bug check has a value of 0x0000009C. This indicates that a fatal machine check exception has occurred. Most likley the mother board or CPU has hardware problem.

Hey,,,thanks for the replies!

I have taken out the sound card and tv card and my computer hasnt blue screened yet!(Everytime the computer blue screened both Winamp(sound card) and my tv card where both on at the same time)) Been two days now... Iv got a feeling it might be my tv card that is the problem. i will be putting back my sound card tomorrow so i can have my surround sound again!! but not my tv card and wait a few days. Also surely if it was the CPU or the Motherboard it would of crashed by now?!!

Thanks for the help anyway and keep it coming...

cheers
phil.

Blue screen of death

I've just received a machine here today that is submitting EXACTLY the same code as yours. Significant as the codes inside the brackets are often very different for the same initial stop code. If you are using a PSU of 300W or less, then that may be your problem, or even if it is a cheap model. The PC brought to me gets the stop code when running 3D games and when trying to install Battle for Middle Earth.
Also have you had any more problems since removing the TV Card. The system here is also an Athlon 64 on a K8T800 motherboard, and also has a TV card and only a 300W PSU.
If you do have only a 300W PSU, I would certainly recommend upgrading to AT LEAST a 400W, particularly if you have many devices.

Problem solved......i think

ive been gettin the same problem as u guys,with the EXACT same error code.and ive been scratching my head for days..but i havnt got a tv card and my spec is: Amd 64 3000+
kv8 third eye motherboard
512mb corsair ddr 400 memory
Q-tec 650w power supply
256mb 5200x geforce graphics
But i only seemed to be gettin the blue screen when i was playing games,, or if i was trying to run 2 or 3 applications at once.so i looked into and microsoft said that MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION is normally caused from 4 main problems: 1) overclocking the cpu
2) a faulty or inadiqate power supply
3) a thermal problem eg.poor fans, overheating
4) memory.eg wrong type
i tried everything! i made sur my cpu wasnt running at an overclocked pace,i then bought a new psu (650W) still blue screen,new fans (water cooled)STILL blue screen! and finally i changed the memory Blue screen gone! hurray! i hope this helps u guys, i was close to EBAY'ing my whole set up and startin over but this time i won. :haha:

Same problem

Same problem, same error code everything.

My BSOD happens whenever I insert a BLANK CD/DVD into either of my CD/DVD drives.
(I've even swapped drives).
I build my own systems and have been upgrading as I go for well over 15 years :) . I currently have an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ with an MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum mainboard. The memory is Kingston (DDR400).
The video card is Radeon X600 (sapphire).

These are pretty much all the new components. I had a hell of a time getting the system to boot, it turned out to be a problem only when I had the USB hub plugged in. Once I upgraded the mainboards BIOS it was no longer a problem.
Anyways......

The system worked well, with its limited 2 IDE channels, I was spoiled by my old ASUS A7V133. So I got a Promise Ultra 100TX2.

Ever since I put that card in I have had problems. THE BSOD, with the above 0x0000009C (...)... STOP error occurs ALMOST ALWAYS when I insert a CD.
But the goofy problem is even when I removed it I had the same problem. HO-HUM. Im going to try removing it once more. I know the drives are ok and the hardware worked FINE until I put in the promise card.

I figured I should put this up in case anyone else has similar problems.

<-> Peace <->

Tip

U should always try to rule out the fact that this maybe a software problem.
Than u could look if this is a hardware problem.

1. Check if u have the latest Bios Firmware installed
2. Get all the latest drivers for your hardware.
-Your mobo/chipset/network drives.
-Your Graphics Card
-Sound Card
-IDE/SATA/RAID Drivers (including Bios)
-Other components

when al these things are up to date, you should consider some other options.
Do you still get the blue screens?
If yes, u should always try a new installation of your OS with the new drivers.

If u did al of these things or already or already done it.
Then u can start testing your hardware.
Try testing your memory (with Memtest)
Scan your complete harddrive for any failures or Bad Sectors.

Ask yourself always a couple of questions when you're problem solving.
When does the problem usually occur?
Is there a sumilarity in time these bluescreen appear?
Did i change anything since the problem started?
Can i replicate the problem or can i find a reference to somebody who had the same problem and so find the solution.

Problem solving is no more than just ruling out posibilities so you can find the problem. Try everything one step at a time and try to rule out any other explanation untill u have one left.

Happy Hunting.

Try buing a comp rather than make it

A lot of the times building a computer can cause many problems, like a BSOD. I would buy a cheap computer that you can upgrade, i would reccomend emachines or HP. They have lots of upgrade options and make a working computer of yor dreams! ;)

Well, i have the exact same problem... stop code i mean

I recently upgraded my graphics card from a hungry GeForce4 Ti4800 to a piss weak GeForceFX 5500.

with the new card in, all of a sudden i got this stop code... so i put the old card back in and bang!... same stop code.... pfft... not impressed jan!

no matter how many cards i try, same bloody error... so i enable onbaord graphics... and well to my surprise... everythings perfect! so this lil problem has been isolated to my AGP slot.

never heard of a slot dying just bye changing a card... but i dont think it dead, why do you ask? safe mode works fine, drivers go in, everything... but i just can't change the resolution, maybe this is a sign?

any ideas that i could try?

well, i found the cuase of this problem, but a deeper and darker problem has emerged. to prevent this error, i had to remove my 56k dail-up modem :dead: problem solved.

Now i know that i have an issue with my motherboard, my computer freezes when playing games, this is a very random problem, i've tested every component and the still persists. to everyone that has this problem, i hope that this helps

your IRQs may be jostled in the registry. I would do a fresh install with all your components. Especially if you swapped slots with different cards. Add one card at a time starting with your graphics card.

yeah, i'm giving that a try. My computer started freezing last night without playing games, and that f*king screen came back, turns out that removing the modem was only a quick fix (even though it did last 2 weeks :) )

I'll let you guys know how i go with it

sw123 said:
A lot of the times building a computer can cause many problems, like a BSOD. I would buy a cheap computer that you can upgrade, i would reccomend emachines or HP. They have lots of upgrade options and make a working computer of yor dreams! ;)
Yeah ummm.. emachines and HP stink, you pay for a bunch of bloated software packages, 90 trial software (mcafee bleh!) and more than year old parts. no thanks. home built ftw.

Anyway, I'm getting the same stop error problem right now. I installed Visual Studio 2005. Could that be a cause of this error? My mobo is a little bit older but i noticed that other ppl are having problems with similar models of gigabyte (i think?) boards. Mine is the ga-K8ns with an AMD Athlon 3200+ CPU. I've been thinking about upgrading the thing and it looks like i might have to because it doesn't seem to be able to handle the video card i have, geforce 7900.
So all in all i'm not sure if the problem lies with the software that i have installed or with the computer hardware.

Thanks for any help, comments, suggestions ^__^

I have been dealing with the same problem for three months:Sometimes I get a BSOD once a day, sometimes I can go up to three days

Error code 0000009c. parameter1 00000004. parameter2 805463f0. parameter3 b2000000. parameter4 00070f0f

Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Gigabyte GA-K8N51PVMT-9
2 gigs ram
NVIDIA GeForce 6600

Ran Memtest for 5 hours (5 passes) and no errors.
Mixed and removedram down to one 512 meg dimm but that didnt help

Have reformatted twice
Have run Seagate diagnostic tools

Removed soundcard and enabled onboard audio still no help

CPU and PSU are about 2 years old Motherboard is five months old.
I have never overclocked

Three weeks ago was the worst when it kept rebooting my computer at the windows boot screen. That was when I did another reformat but within a day I got the bsod again.

Prior to the first BSOD, back in May my computer just stopped booting up. I took it into the shop and the motherboard was damaged as the fan had separated from it. I wound up replacing the MB (asus) with a Gigabyte, and a new XP was installed. The following month I added a second gig of ram (two 512 meg Kingston Value Ram dimms)
I ran Passmark Burnintest twice.. the first time the puter crashed and of course there was no way to see what the error was... the second time it passed.

I think I may jsut replace the MB and CPU (upgrade from the 939)
Of course this means reformatting... again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back