Blue start up screen - No response

Status
Not open for further replies.
Windows XP 2005

I am getting the blue start up screen and my keyboard won't respond but the lights on the keyboard flash for a split second and then go off. replaced it with another keyboard still no response. tried different USB ports for keyboard.. Nothing. Only thing that seems to work is the On and Off Switch. All connections are good. Someone point me in the right direction here. Thanks.

The Display was the normal startup screen before microsoft loads. the screen you should only see for a few seconds and then microsoft windows xp should load. it didn't though. my friend unplugged my CD-ROM Drives and it started right up and he then reconnected them. my computer is running slower and when i reload internet pages or click "go back" it loads just as slow as loading a new page. aren't recent pages suppose to load faster cuz they were in the memory. not just the internet but also files and folders are opening alot slower. I'm afraid to turn my pcu off. OK and also... i found a red wire going from my hard drive to my motherboard that i dont remember seeing from earlier... is it possible thats the problem and my friend put it back and tried to play it off as something else was wrong?

The first thing I would try is a BIOS reset to default. Go into BIOS (or Setup) one startup. Look for anything that says something like "reset to defaults" Then restart the computer. See if this corrects your problems.

Here's what I'm getting at. The BIOS is what starts immediately when you turn on the computer. It has either default settings in the program or it can use saved settings store in CMOS memory. If there are settings in CMOS, it uses them, if not it uses the defaults in the program. But the CMOS memory can get corrupted and when that happens, your computer goes weird!

If this doesn't work, repost and we'll take it from there.

Best,
-- Andy

i found a red wire going from my hard drive to my motherboard that i dont remember seeing from earlier
That's a concern
I wonder if you could upload a picture, or attach it (Note: max size of attachment is 200kb, so you may need to use any number of free servers out there)

The HardDrive if Sata can have a red wire though, it looks like this:
images

KIMSLAND - Thats exactly what the wire looks like... if it wasn't there before my friend fixed the problem would i have gotten those symptoms i wrote about? myaybe it was there and i didn't realize. i'm not computer savy.

ALMCNEIL - I can't find anything that says BIOS or SETUP that gives me the option to "reset to defaults". Can you be more specific i searched for a bit but no luck.

BIOS on Startup

ALMCNEIL - I can't find anything that says BIOS or SETUP that gives me the option to "reset to defaults". Can you be more specific i searched for a bit but no luck.

First, my name is Andy (although I have been called other names.)

Please excuse me, I don't mean to insult you if you already know this. But based on your question, I get the impression you don't know what the BIOS is. It's the program that immediately starts when you turn on your computer. There is no MS Windows when you first start the computer, but the microprocessor (Pentium or AMD) needs a program to run, otherwise, it doesn't know what to do. The BIOS is a small program that the micro uses on startup, It initializes and tests the motherboard and devices. If everythings OK, it then starts loading the OS from the Master Boot Record on the default boot device.

What I suggest is for you to force the BIOS to reset to default. To do this you need to enter BIOS at startup. When you turn on the comptuer (or restart) there is usually a manufacturer's logo at first. It will indicate what F key to press to enter BIOS (or sometimes called Setup or Settings) That's how you get into BIOS. Once in there, look for something that says "Press Fx to reset to defaults" or something like that. Then exit and save settings. The comptuer should restart automatically.

Repost with results and we'll take it from there.

Best,
-- Andy

You are right. I dont know what BIOS is but i did exactly what you said and still no changes. It didn't reastart automatically either unless you mean when i exit and it says either to save changes to CMOS and restart or exit without saving. Right now i'm operating my computer without a cd-rom drive and dvd-drive and if i connected them it freezes during start up at the screen that can take me BIOS but nothing responds. its frozen. i'm sorry to keep bothering you about it. (on a side note.... For months now ive been getting a notice when my computer loads up that "The ATI Control Panel failed to initialize because no ATI driver is installed, or ATI driver is not working properly. The ATI Control Panel will now exit.") i'm sure that has nothing to do with the current problem though. Ive tried installing it but i can't find it in the "Add New Hardware" program. I appreciate the help. don't give up on me please.

My best suugestion is to get someone to help you find where in the BIOS the "reset to defaults" is. The BIOS is different from one computer manufacturer to another.

ATI control panel has to do with your video card. Yes, this could be the root cause of your problem. I might suggest going into Windows Device Manager and disabling the video card and if the problem disappear.

Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> Video Adapters

Best,
-- Andy

I had another friend look at it and he thinks its the power supply because the cd rom and dvd rom do not open even when connected. also i got a Nvidia GeForce 8500 gt graphics card installed a few months ago and recently connected a second monitor (32" lcd hd tv). I just wonder with this stuff could it make a power supply go bad or maybe it wasn't good enough in the first place. The one i'm using came with the computer and is:
MODEL HP-D3057F3R
MAX OUTPUT POWER: 300W

Does this seem like a probable cause? If not, do you recommend i get one with more power anyways? and how much power?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back