BMW celebrates 100th birthday with the Vision Next 100 Vehicle, a forward-looking concept

Shawn Knight

Staff member

BMW is celebrating 100 years of manfuacturing this year. In fact, today is the company's 100th birthday but rather than reflect on its past, the German automaker is looking far into the future with a new concept car known as the Vision Next 100 Vehicle.

Unveiled earlier today at the Munich Olympic Hall, the Vision Next 100 Vehicle is – as you'd expect – loaded with autonomous features.

The car offers two drive modes. In "Boost" mode, a human pilots the vehicle much like we drive cars today. Switching to "Ease" mode lets the driver kick back while the car takes over driving duties. In this latter mode, the steering wheel retracts and the front seats move a bit to make it easier to carry on conversation with passengers. Even the car's interior lighting changes to reflect the driving mode.

As CNET points out, the vehicle's entire front windshield doubles as an augmented reality display where all gauges and other driving aides are displayed. In Boost mode, the display will even draw out a proper driving line when taking turns. When in Ease mode, the display transforms into something like a tour guide, highlighting local attractions and so forth.

BMW's Vision Next 100 Vehicle is also outfitted with something called The Companion. It's a gemstone-shaped object that serves as a visual representation of the car's artificial intelligence system. The Companion functions differently based on the drive mode and can even signal to pedestrians that it's safe to cross the street.

BMW said the vehicle is emissions-free but failed to delve any deeper into its powertrain.

As is customary with concept vehicles, it's probably safe to assume that most of these forward-looking features won't make it into a production vehicle anytime soon. Even still, it's refreshing to see that BWM envisions a future in which drivers are still part of the equation (if they so choose to be).

Permalink to story.

The BMW repair shops are thriving. My niece and her boyfriend own one and I have invested a bit there and the ROI is fantastic. :)
Honestly, that is bar none the ugliest, least luxurious passenger compartment I have ever seen outside of an amusement park ride.

The BMW repair shops are thriving. My niece and her boyfriend own one and I have invested a bit there and the ROI is fantastic. :)
Honestly, that is bar none the ugliest, least luxurious passenger compartment I have ever seen outside of an amusement park ride.
Yeah, this looks like it was designed by some aspiring 3-D artist using some freeware program. Does not like like it was designed by someone working at a billion dollar car company in order to honor 100 years of business.

Snore.

All concept cars do is piss me off. They never make them, and it is because these "concepts" are often un-producible or would only work with massive sacrifices to things you just can't sacrifice.

Heck if they would just actually build and benchmark a couple of these "concepts" I might change my mind.

The problem with a concept car, is once the BEAN COUNTERS in management get their mitts on it, it ends up looking NOTHING like the concept.

Holy triangle overload, Batman! Could they fit anymore in those pics? Is the future going to be dominated by triangles?!

As for the car - It looks about as cool as Google Glass.

BMW said the vehicle is emissions-free
Aren't all dreams emissions-free?

Well would you look at that, the future will be comprised of cars with zero interior amenities, so what do you do while the car is driving itself along? I can think of one thing, but limo tints would be required for that. At least it has a heads up display, the only thing that looks to have been incorporated into the render, and an interior you can just hose down if ever your kids puke in it.

Back