Inactive Bobbye- new laptop-info on best security needed

steveow

Hi, that 8 yr old VAIO finally died.
Picked up a new laptop Fri evening.
HP Pavilion g6 Notebook
AMD E350 Processor 1.6GHz
4G Memory 450G HD
Windows 7 IE8

It came with the Norton 30 day, which I just removed from programs after I started adding the following.

I added SAS and ran a scan and 39 various adware tracking cookies were found. Then I added Avira, Malwarebytes, Comodo Firewall and ATF. Ran a scan and 6 more were found. Then remembered about Spywareblaster....downloaded and scanned with SAS and it found 9 more adware tracking cookies. hmmm????

Not sure why so many adwares are being found as the other PC rarely had 1 or 2. I just now remembered about the settings, so I'll go back to our history and find the security setting for 3rd party cookies you mentioned. This Windows 7 is gonna take some getting used to.....a bit different than Windows Pro. In the meantime if you recommend other safety nets for this laptop let me know.
Also, it has the webcam and I recently heard on the news about the hacking of one's webcam. Any advice on that?

thanks,
stevo

OK, I've taken care of accepting first party and blocking 3rd party cookies. That should take care of the adware cookies in the SAS scans.....I'm learning :)

Love it when my 'students' learn! Of course that was one of the first this I was going to suggest! Here are more if you still need the links:

Tips for added security and safer browsing: (Links are in Bold Blue)
  1. Browser Security
    [o] Safe Settings (Please ignore the suggestion to use the Registry Editor in this section "Creating a Custom Security Zone")
    [o] ZonedOut. This manages the Zones in Internet Explorer. (For IE7 and IE8, Windows 2000 thru Vista. No Windows 7)
    [o] Replace the Host Files
    [o] Google Toolbar Pop Up Blocker
    [o]Web of Trust (WOT) Site Advisor. Traffic-light rating symbols show which rate the site for Trustworthiness, Vendor Reliability, Privacy, Child Safety.
  2. Have layered Security:
    [o]Antivirus :(only one):Both of the following programs are free and known to be good:
    [o]Avira-AntiVir-Personal-Free-Antivirus
    [o]Avast-Free Antivirus
    [o]Firewall (only one): Use bi-directional firewall. Both of the following programs are free and known to be good:
    [o]Comodo
    [o]Zone Alarm
  3. Antimalware: I recommend all of the following:
    [o]Spywareblaster: SpywareBlaster protects against bad ActiveX.
    [o]Spybot Search & Destroy
  4. Updates: Stay current:
    [o] the Microsoft Download Sitefrequently. All updates marked Critical and the current SP updates.
    [o]Adobe Reader Install current, uninstall old.
    [o]Java Updates Install current, uninstall old.
  5. Tracking Cookies
    Reset Cookie:
    [o]For Internet Explorer: Internet Options (through Tools or Control Panel) Privacy tab> Advanced button> check 'override automatic Cookie handling'> check 'accept first party Cookies'> check 'Block third party Cookies'> check 'allow per session Cookies'> Apply> OK.
    [o]For Firefox: Tools> Options> Privacy> Cookies> check ‘accept Cookies from Sites’> Uncheck 'accept third party Cookies'> Set Keep until 'they expire'. This will allow you to keep Cookies for registered sites and prevent or remove others. (Note: for Firefox v3.5, after Privacy click on 'use custom settings for History.')
    I suggest using the following two add-on for Firefox. They will prevent the Tracking Cookies that come from ads and banners and other sources:
    AdBlock Plus
    Easy List
    [o]For Chrome: Tools> Options> Under The Hood> Privacy Section> CHECK 'Restrict how third party Cookies can be used'> Close.
  6. Do regular Maintenance
    Clean the temporary internet files often:
    [o] Temporary File Cleaner]
    or
    [o] ATF Cleaner by Atribune
  7. Restore Points:
    [o]See System Restore Guide
  8. Safe Email Handling
    [o] Don't open email from anyone you don't know.
    [o] Don't open Attachments in the email. Safe to your desktop and scan for viruses using a right click
    [o] Don't leave your personal email address on the internet. Have a separate email account at one of the free web-based emails like Yahoo.
Please let me know if you find any bad link.
=========================================
Unless you got the paid version with Real Time protection, I wouldn't run Malwarebytes all the time. A scan once in a while will do and you can use the free version.
I do recommend using the Site Advisor (last line in #1)

You have AV, Firewall, at least 2 antimalware> SuperAntiSpyware and Spywareblaster are good. You might want to add Spybot Search & Destroy. Keep in mind that is not the number of security programs per se that matters. It having what is referred to as 'layered security]- antivirus, firewall and at least 2 antimalware programs.

Congrats on the new computer. Don't forget to remove all the pre-loaded junk the manufacturer puts on, most of which you'll never use.

About the Webcam-I haven't run into a lot of that, but keep in mind that any software that connect to the internet is actually at risk and needs to be protected.

So if you have a flash drive, run the following:
  • Please download Panda USB Vaccine(you must provide valid e-mail and they will send you download link to this e-mail address) to your desktop.
  • Install and run it.
  • Plug in USB drive and click on Vaccinate USB and Vaccinate computer.

Let me know if you need anymore info.

Still learning this windows 7 and it seems fine to me.....I've read that it's not popular. I think it's a matter of people getting so used to convenience, and zero patience, they lose perception of how good we got it with all the bells and whistles we have the luxary of using.

The cookies changes have blocked all adware on SAS scans. Awesome again!
And by removing the 30 day Norton multi-protection and using your plan it has increased the speed quite a bit. Can't complain about that!

I'll get to the full list you mentioned above later when time permits. Yes, I have 2 flash drives, so I'll do that too.

re: ATF and cleaning the temp files through tools. It's amazing how much ATF finds after deleting temp files etc.
So if one didn't care about re-entering passwords etc can you just bypass tools/delete temp files etc and just go straight to ATF and clean it all? If not, please explain.

btw, I'm dazzling...lol... my friends with the SAS, Malwarebytes, Comodo etc knowledge for speeding up and cleaning their pc's. I always start up conversations at the computer isle pointing right here to you guys at Techspot for optimum pc performance.
thanks, Bobbye!
steve

My pleasure Steve. I've learned a lot over the years. I try to save what I might share with others like the security suggestions. Along the way, I've managed to learn about programs and scans and settings that help keep a system safe and clean.

Many users have said "I don't have anything worth stealing on my computer" or "all I do is email and search the web!" The 2 most important security issues are 1. that the user is the first line of security- do careless or stupid things and you'll pay for it" I see logs with an overabundance of security programs but a system filled with malware. If I have them run SAS, I see the site they have visited. 2. Don't use file sharing! It isn't being nice to your friend and or not paying for something you should>> it's the most direct route to malware there is!

It's also very hard to explain that just having access to a system can make the bad guys use it for a Denial of Service attack. Doesn't matter if they steal passwords or information- they have access to the system

As for Win 7, I have a Dell mini with the started version. I don't think it's big deal. I have 2 other systems still with Windows XP and still think it's the best OS yet. Win 7 just puts things in different places- my 'starter version' hasn't been much of a challenge.

About picking up speed after Norton: both Norton and McAfee put an enormous number of processes on a system. They are all on startup it will slow the system down. I use stand alone programs> no suites> makes a big difference. But the public has had those 'suites' beat into them. Those 30 free trial offers they give or the manufacturer pre-loading one of them often keeps people from trying something different, maybe better. I'm glad to hear you have noticed the significant difference.
peace_dove_bigger_normal.jpg
Peace

Yep still working great.
I posted a question in the video forum and haven't got a response yet, well, it's only been 18 hours. This laptop using Windows Photo Gallery or Media Player does not play videos worth a darn. YouTube keeps cutting out and the videos I recorded yesterday a Blues Harmonica Battle will only play for the first 2 minutes and then the audio starts cutting out and the video is all jerky and cuts out too. When I play it in my camera the video works perfect. I tried to load it on Facebook and only one 3 minute video took at least 10 minutes so I just stopped it. Even pictures take longer to upload to FB than my old VAIO and I believe all hardware is better on this new laptop. Not sure what video card is in this laptop, but I do know the old VAIO had 2-512MB.
What do you think about this?
thanks, steve
Not sure if it's a program or the video quality is set to high. If so, I need to know where to dial it back as I can't seem to find it.

I'm not the one to ask about the video. the members over there will have more experience with that. I have music pause occasionally- have no idea why.

Check the Device Manager and see if these are any error/alert>
alert-icon.gif

Expand Sound, Video and Game Controllers

Back