Boot issue on netbook, missing or corrupted file Windows\System32\Config\System

I know a version of this forum has been started on here, but everything I have read, it is being said that they need to use the OS disc and run the repair and all that. But this is a Netbook with no CDROM drive. USB and SDcard drives, that's all. Is it possible to repair this without the CD? Even the onscreen message is the same message everyone gets, "You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the Original Setup CD-ROM." But no drive to do this.
It is an ASUS Netbook
OS is XP

Do you have or can borrow an external DVD drive? Then go into the BIOS and change the order so that USB is first boot option. Samsung and Lite-on do USB powered DVD RW drives made to use with netbooks, no doubt they could see a market for them with the millions of netbooks being sold ! Then you need an OS disc of the type you are using, and you can try a repair.

1) corruption of \Windows\System32\Config\System\* is corruption of the registry

2) highly possible that if you can recover, the files on that system are still just FINE :)

3) *IF* you have valuable contents on that system, continue with your efforts until all hope is lost; else, what-the-heck, just start over

If you need the steps for recovery of the regisitry, I cah help, but you some means to
boot ANY system and to get R/W access to the existing HD.

1) corruption of \Windows\System32\Config\System\* is corruption of the registry

2) highly possible that if you can recover, the files on that system are still just FINE :)

3) *IF* you have valuable contents on that system, continue with your efforts until all hope is lost; else, what-the-heck, just start over

If you need the steps for recovery of the regisitry, I cah help, but you some means to

jobeard how I do the 2nd step?

See (3). You need to have the HD visible on a running system and then copy the precious files onto a thumb drive or upload to the Cloud. The HD can become visible by:
  1. removing it from your system and attaching to another
  2. booting from a CD

Back