Boot Selection Menu Flashes Before Windows 7 Startup

Hi, OK, to make a long story short, I decided to upgrade from a new copy of windows 7 which I purchased, to windows 10 before the free upgrade offer ends. So, I disconnected my primary hard drive (which already had 7 on it), plugged in a new one, installed 7, upgraded to 10, disconnected it again, and reconnected my old drive. Now, whenever I start my computer, I see a flash of a boot selection screen, such as the one you might see if you dual boot 7 and XP, before the traditional Windows 7 flag animation, and it's extremely annoying. I tried rebuilding the boot record with my windows 7 disk, changing the bootup settings from the control panel to turn off the boot menu, and going into msconfig to make sure everything was set the way it's supposed to be, but nothing worked. Does anyone have a solution for this? It only flashes for less than a second, but it's still getting on my nerves, and I haven't noticed any other issues, everything else seems perfectly normal. Thanks!

OK, I'm not anywhere the biggest tech meister in this building but, IIRC, one sets the boot order in BIOS. Connecting a different HDD and a different OS, may have changed the boot order setting in BIOS. It's worth a look anyway.

OK, I'm not anywhere the biggest tech meister in this building but, IIRC, one sets the boot order in BIOS. Connecting a different HDD and a different OS, may have changed the boot order setting in BIOS. It's worth a look anyway.
I restored the BIOS back to default settings after I plugged my old drive back in, so that's not the issue. Thanks though.

Sorry I couldn't help. You didn't mention the BIOS reset in your post, hence my suggestion.

Still, doesn't the default boot sequence, go through boot from "floppy", boot from USB, and boot from CD, before it hits a HDD? Perhaps it wasn't set to default before, and now the slight delay because it's hunting for a boot object?

I would be comfortable using C:/ as the 1st boot device, and then go into BIOS and set a different boot order in the event of an HDD failure, or an OS reinstall from a CD.

Sorry I couldn't help. You didn't mention the BIOS reset in your post, hence my suggestion.

Still, doesn't the default boot sequence, go through boot from "floppy", boot from USB, and boot from CD, before it hits a HDD? Perhaps it wasn't set to default before, and now the slight delay because it's hunting for a boot object?

I would be comfortable using C:/ as the 1st boot device, and then go into BIOS and set a different boot order in the event of an HDD failure, or an OS reinstall from a CD.
Well, this appears to be a boot menu for different versions of windows. It looks like this: sshot179.png
and only shows me the option to boot into Windows 7, so I assume this is part of data stored on the C:/ drive.

The problem is, there's some of the "GRUB" boot loader left over from a Linux installation, or at least Windows thinks there is.

Was there a LInux installation ever present?

I believe the only solution to this is probably via command line, which I unfortunately don't know exactly what to tell you to type

That is the problem though, and knowing what is, might help you to use better search terms to find an answer.

Plan "B" is, I believe @cliffordcooley is a Linux aficionado, and he might have a solution.

Last edited:
The problem is, there's some of the "GRUB" boot loader left over from a Linux installation, or at least Windows thinks there is.

Was there a LInux installation ever present?

I believe the only solution to this is probably via command line, which I unfortunately don't know exactly what to tell you to type

That is the problem though, and knowing what is, might help you to use better search terms to find an answer.

Plan "B" is, I believe @cliffordcooley is a Linux aficionado, and he might have a solution.
Thanks. I solved the problem by messing around with EasyBCD and rebuilding the bootloader (I think that's what they call it) from scratch.

Back