Booting Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

The computer I am trying to boot is running Windows XP. I can't access it much to tell you many details, but I will try to provide what I can.
The computer is a Compaq Presario SR1603WM. Integrated Graphics is ATI Radeon Xpress 200, which I upgraded with a PNY GeForce 6200. My RAM is 3x 256 MB sticks. My problem is that I opened the case for a routine cleaning to rid it of the dust. When I did, I decided to clean the heatsink extra, so I popped out the prongs and lifted it up to clean it thoroughly. I noticed a chip with a lot of little golden needles sticking out of it, to go into the sockets below. I was careful not to mess with those. I put it back in, put my computer back together, and when I tried to boot I got the black screen with the fan running at 100%. I thought I didn't put the heatsink back right, and i'm still not sure if I did. I've made sure it fits in correctly or pretty close, but I think this might be the problem. I've taken the battery out, cleaned my RAM sticks, inserted them one at a time, tried it without the PCI graphics card, everything. I did finally get it to beep on startup like it normally does, but still no screen and the fan is still at 100%. If I hold down the power button for a few seconds, the fan will shut off but the computer remains on. If I press it again, the fan starts at 100%. After the first time, after holding the power button again, the fan stops for half a second and resumes. Any idea what is causing this? I want my computer back. Its not good, but I like it! Help!

I hate to tell you this Ace but your cpu will no longer function. That little chip was part of the the wafer which is your cpu.

You may be able to find another one though. Can you tell us anything about your system like linking us to a website or did you have someone build it for you?

If we can find out the make and model of your motherboard perhaps we can find another processor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back