Broken graphics card?

Hi for about 2 weeks ago i replaced my cpu fan with a salman for better cooling so i had to unplug my grafic card so nothing would happen to it and now when i plugged it in again my monitor is all black and the fan on the card goes on 100% or something like that. im using a ati 1550 now so i can get a vision on the monitor. please help me

Best reguards Alex

try uninstalling current driver, installing the card, and botting up. if it works install the most recent driver.

other than that i don't see why a new cpu fan would disturb how your gfx card operates. post ur computer specs to us.

When you say you unplugged your graphics card, what did you actually do? How did you do it?

to get room so i could put the processor cooler in i removed my graficcard from the motherboard and put it on the desk and the put in the cooler and then put in the graficcard. i plugged in all the cables and noticed that i got electric shocks from my grafic cable from the monitor after connecting it to the graficcard.

computer spec:

Cpu: Intel core 2 quad q9300 2.50ghz
Graficcard 9800GTX 512mb (using a Radeon X1550 so i can get a vision on the monitor)
Powersupply: 550W
Motherboard: Gigabyte P35-DS3L
HDD: 1TB and a 500GB
Ram: 4096 800mhz

...i got electric shocks from my grafic cable from the monitor...
Not a good thing. Since the "new" card works it appears that the 9800GTX got fried.

Did you forget to turn off the monitor?

the monitor was on i think. how can the monitor frie my grafic card? :s
is there any way to fix it without buying a new graficcard?

Best reguards Alex

it is not worth getting such an old card repaired IMHO, but if you are really tight on the budget you may take it to some technician and see what he say.

Either the power from monitor/or even static charge can do that. Regards

Even if you could find someone to repair the card, it seems unlikely it would be cost effective to do so. With some graphic card "illnesses" (bad capacitors, bad fan) you might repair it but in this case, IMO, it will have to be replaced.

As Archean pointed out, any electrical discharge, even static electricity, can fry any PC component. That's why SOP when working inside a PC is to make sure you are grounded to avoid any static discharge and to unplug (or at least switch off) any and all components.

Back