Brown blotches on laptop screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few weeks ago, my laptop developed what looked like a brown stain in the top left corner of the screen. I tried cleaning it, and discovered that the 'stain' was on the inside.

Over the last few weeks, this 'stain' has grown and now surrounds nearly my entire screen.

From what I've read it's not dead pixels, because they go black right?

Can anyone tell me what it might be, and if there's a way to fix it?

I have tried to attach a photo but I'm not familiar with these forums so I'm not sure if it's going to work..

Attachments

• DSC_1124.jpg
    DSC_1124.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 155
Looks to be either water (condensation) or too much pressure on the screen.

The LCD front plastic bezel would need to be removed, to see if it's not pressure causing it

Okay thanks.. so if it's water, what can I do about it? Or are the edges of my screen stuck brown now?

And how can I stop it happening?

The LCD front plastic bezel would need to be removed, to see if it's not pressure causing it
You need to locate the dismantle guide
Try your manufacture for this guide or Google this, as many manufacturers do not carry them

Then once the screen is out check all components for any moisture
To stop it happening again, you may need to care for your laptop better (where it is stored, and how it is used) Your laptop manual (from your laptop's support download page) will also include care and maintenance instructions

You can't dismantle a screen. It's a sealed unit. It's not pressure from the bezzle either. Doesn't happen. If an LCD discolors from pressure, it should turn multicolor under the pressure point. Try it for yourself if you like. It won't hurt anything.

The screen itself is damaged and needs to be replaced from the looks of that picture.

To clean it usually. Dust clogs up on the sides very frequently. This isn't the HP in my profile though, it's an old Toshiba Tecra M2 my mom uses.

Inside the actual LCD panel?? It's a sealed unit. How would dust get in it? I can understand taking the bezel off, even lifting the panel out of it's retention.. but to my knowledge you can't pop the actual panel apart, you just buy a new one.

By LCD panel, I mean the unit in the attached photo.

Attachments

• mblcd.jpg
    mblcd.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 28
You can't dismantle a screen.
Thanks for adding confusion to the thread adweston :suspiciou
Luckily I didn't say dismantle the laptop, because pulling the Harddrive apart would have caused some issue too. :D

Obviously I just meant the bezel and screws holding the LCD panel in (really it reads very clear to me)
Here's a PDF dismantle guide I found as an example: http://www.insidemylaptop.com/files/dell-inspiron-8600-inverter-replacement.pdf
Note this may not be the same laptop (presently unknown, by the way)

Ahhh..

I read that wrong.

But it's ok. Do you do a lot of work on laptops? I fix tons of them every week and have never, in 11 years, seen a bezel do what you're suggesting (that being discoloring the screen as shown in the photo). I'm not saying it's not possible, of course. But.... Having done dozens of screen replacements, etc (I'm currently waiting on an order for another 15 replacement screens).. I can't help but be curious.

Again, I seek more knowledge....always learning. :)

The curious part was thankfully answered by Spleenharvester
actually pressure is a possibility too, maybe if the bezel was a bit too tight around it it could cause damage over time...
Anyway, it was just a suggestion, who knows, maybe it's been colored in with a texture :D

LOL, I didn't mean I take apart the actual LCD. I just pop out the panel, clean it and put it back in. Sorry if I confused you. ;)

No worries Rage. As you can see, it didn't take much to confuse me yesterday. Too much partying New Years Eve perhaps? lol :)

The curious part was thankfully answered by Spleenharvester

Anyway, it was just a suggestion, who knows, maybe it's been colored in with a texture :D

Maybe he can edit it with Photoshop? lol :D

Heh. I'm always learning new things. There was another great thread in here about replacing caps on laptop motherboards, something I wasn't aware of.

That's what's so cool about this industry. There's always something new to learn if one keeps an open mind. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back