Not open for further replies.

Aimsbury

Hi All,

We have built our pc from scratch. Currently using:
Asus A8N SLI - Premium motherboard.
2 x 512mb Crucial Balistic ram (400mhz)
2 x 512mb Corsair ram (bought second hand) 400mhz
Just installed a second hand AMD63 939 4400+ CPU2.2ghz duel core
Fitted the above with a Thermaltake CPU fan (used a thin layer of silver compound between the processor and fan).
New from Box Graphics card HD4850 512mb - Saphire
600w PSU
Operating system is XP

It was all working fine for a week, then on Friday evening, the machine rebooted itself. It got to the windows loading page, went black, showed the cursor, then rebooted again and got itself stuck in a reboot loop.

We've reset the bios, run a repair from the original XP disc, deleted and reinstalled drivers for the graphics card, taken all 4 memory cards out and tried them in each slot one by one, but nothing is stopping us from getting the BSOD!

We're getting
"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

Run a system diagnostic utility supplied by your hardware manufacturer. In particular, runa memory check, and check for faulty or misatched memory. Try changing video adapters

Stop 0x00000007F "

I can't get onto the internet in safe mode so can't update any drivers online. Am using my works laptop to post here in the hope someone can help.

Building the PC wasn't too bad, but fixing it is proving much harder!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

For clarification sake, are you saying you haven't even been able to run Memtest or any test on your RAM? The most common cause for 0x7F BSODs is corrupted memory (but cwertainly not the only reason).

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to run a Memtest. I can't get online to download memtest.

I have 4 memory ports. I have 4 memory sticks. I've taken them all out then tried:
Stick 1 in port 1, then 2, then 3, then 4 then
Stick 2 in port 1, then 2, then 3, then 4 etc and each time, I get the BSOD

The 2 corsair sticks were new, the 2 Crucial sticks I've had for a while. Both worked together for a week before these issues started occuring.

I have even tried old memory

Just tried to boot in safe mode with networking so I can use the wifi but again, I get the BSOD

Grrrrr!

Is there any way you can borrow a friend's PC to burn memtest? It sounds like you know how that test works. I have Crucial Ballistix PC3200 (DDR 400) in my one socket 939 system and one of the sticks eventually died. In fact, Crucial was having tons of customer issues with not only their PC3200 but especially their PC 4000.

I've downloaded memtest and got it onto a cd but how to I get it to work on pc? I put the disc in and double click on install, which then asks for target diskette drive. If I type D, it does nothing? I don't have a 3.5 floppy drive???

Sorry to be a pain Route 44 !

Have worked it out and now made a bootable disc. Memtest running now. Let you know the outcome once it's done.

Have worked it out and now made a bootable disc. Memtest running now. Let you know the outcome once it's done.

Great! And, trust me, you're not being a pain. Make sure you run it a long time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. I'd let it run overnight and check it in the morning.

after 50 mins, got a pass with no errors. Screen showing...

Cached - 2048m
Rsvd Mem - 276m
MemMap - e820-Std
Cache - on
ECC - off
Test - Std
Pass - 1
Errors 0

I have no idea what any of this means???!!!

I do know I am shattered so will take your advice and let this run overnight. I'll let you know how it goes in the morning.

Thanks for your help - night night

The only thing you have to concern yourself with is the Pass and Error catagories. This test will throw random and yet controlled patterns at your memory. No two tests will be quite the same every time it cycles through. get back to us tommorrow with the results.

Alrighty then! 8hrs 38 mins after starting the mem test, it's done 9 full cycles and has 9 passes, 0 errors, even when I got into confirguration and check error the error report summary, so now I'm stumped

Attach your 5 most recent minidumps. You can Zip up to 5 together. Please do us a favor and don't Zip them individually. :D

Thanks Route - Am at work at the moment but will try tonight when I get home in a couple of hours

Ok, next blonde question - how do I get you the minidumps, and then zip them? - Sorry :eek:

Hey, blondes are okay. I married one!

How to find your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need and NOT the folder. Attach to your next post. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

Evening Route - I think I've done it??? Let me know if this is wrong. 5 latest minidumps attached (I hope)

just came up corrupt when I tried to check it had uploaded ok? Here it is again (hopefully) :confused:

had the change the file name so it would upload

Perfect. All minidumps cite 0x7F errors and all cite the same driver as the cause: BT4501G.sys.

This is a Thomson Speedtouch Wireless USB Adapter driver. Google for this company's website and download their latest drivers for this device. Let us know the results.

Thank you! Will try that now

It would seem Thomson don't recognise the USB adapter? 121g. Are there any reliable sites you would recommend to get the drivers from? Tried one but got a 1607 error

See if they have it listed as THOMSON Wireless NDIS 5.1 Driver - SpeedTouch 121g Wireless USB Adapter because everythingthing I have researched lables it as I have it.

Edit Update: http://www.runscanner.net/fileinfo/BT4501G.sys.html They have what seems to be the latest driver. If you choose to do this I would save to your desktop and allow your antivirus to scan.

Oh Man! I'm going mad here! Thanks for the link. I downloaded to my laptop and then copied over to the desktop but it needs to access the internet on the pc to make the runscanner work so this one doesn't work

I can't seem to find anything that will make the bloomin' thing work.

Is definitely an issue with the USB adapter though - if it's not plugged in, the PC boots up fine. As soon as I plug it in, I get the BSoD.

I'll keep trying. Thanks Route.

Okay, actually this is good news because we know where the problem is. Try this: uninstall and reinstall the adapter drivers. Does this bring stability?

Hi Route - we couldn't find the drivers on the 'add and remove' page so went in and deleted them manually. Computer is now not crashing. Bought a new wifi usb adapter as the Speedtouch one was getting very hot, and we didnt have much success reinstalling.

Now got a Belkin G+ Mimo which we put in and it worked fine. Thought it best to run the updates and thats when disaster struck! Not got BSoD, but everything freezes - froze halfway through the update so it's just getting itself all confused.

The Belkin isn't showing up on add and remove either, and I can't delete the folders as comes up with an error saying access is denied - make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use.

Sorry - I know this is going a bit off topic now, but do you have any ideas how we can fix this?

Thanks Route - all your help is much appreciated!!

Amy

Gone in to the folder and pressed uninstall, and it tries to reinstall again! Just hanging on the Installshield 'please wait' logo???

First, it sounds like your Speedtouch adapter itself was bad. Good thing you got rid of it.

Okay, let's try something simple. Download the latest version of CCleaner (its free), let it do a full scan and clean and then and use their Tool to uninstall anything Belkin (and Speedtouch). Many of us here find this actually works better than Windows uninstall. Let us know if that works.

By the way, I have the very same Belkin for my old notebook and works very well. Here is the rule on drivers: If it ain't broke don't fix it. In other words, if it works let it be.

Once you completely uninstall Belkin reinstall with the drivers that came with it. let us also know if this works.

Does anything Belkin show in the Tool section of CCleaner?

Have you attempted to reinstall Belkin?

The only place belkin shows up in CC is in the start up menu (along with the speedtouch). I deleted both from start up, but can't find a way to delete them permanently

In program files, I have folders for Belkin, Belkin update and Speedtouch, but can't delete any of them as comes up with an error saying access is denied - make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use.

If you go into the folders and click on the uninstall, it tries to install the package.

Find RegCleaner (sometimes known as RegEdit) by Juoni Viourno to clean up any suspect Speedtouch and Belkin registry lines. (Find on MajorGeeks.com)

There is always a note of caution when dealing with the registry. Just stick to what you are looking for. I would download and install to your desktop and then reboot into Safe Mode. When you click on RegCleaner look for the tab at the top that says Uninstall Menu and click that on. Look for all things Speedtouch (Thomson) and belkin and clean those out.

* Get back to us if you have any questions.

Route, I'm going insane!!! I downloaded regcleaner and it only half installed. Now can't reload or uninstall, just like the other programs. I think I'm cursed!!!

Went back in on normal mode rather than safe and it worked much better. Have now deleted all files for Belkin and speedtouch. Time to try reloading them!!! Will let you know how I get on. Thanks so much for your help so far Route!

Hmmm - reinstalling but once again hanging on the please wait logo. Going to leave it overnight to see if anything happens - getting bored now! LOL

Thanks again
Amy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back