BSoD after Windows Automatic Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

es336td

I see numerous similar errors, but nothing exactly, so hopefully, I'm not duplicating info.,

Today, I got the little yellow shield requesting that I install automatic Windows updates. I did so and when I got to a point where I could restart, I did so. When I came back to log back in, the following BSoD was displayed

(I can't post pictures... or attach... I have images)

The only way to reboot is to hit the power button... which instead of shutting it down reboots and gives me numerous ways to reboot. I select SafeMode as suggested... it then dumps the following screen and freezes; sometimes unplugging is the only way to reboot.

(I can't post pictures... or attach... I have images)

I can't find my install disks, so what can I do to get somewhere where I can check the disk space, etc.?

My machine is a Dell XPS/Dimension 400/9150
Processor, 80547, PENTIUM D SMITHFIELD FOR DESKTOPS..., 820 SKT-T, Male
Dual In-Line Memory Module, 512533M, 64X64, 8, 240, 1RX8
Card, Graphics, X300, Server Enhanced, MRMGA9A, Second
Hard Drive, 160G, S2, 7.2K, 8M Lead Free, WD-HAWK

This is exactly what happened to me yesterday (my thread is just below yours). The only way I could recover my system was to run windows restore off of my cds.

Rdbss.sys is Redirected Drive Buffering SubSystem Driver; with which Arc was having an issue; is it same for you as well? Try booting with "Last Good Known Configuration" or "Safe Mode with Command Prompt"; later one will let you see which drivers/services are being loaded and if the system resets you should be able to notice at which file it does this.

If the above doesn't help the other viable option seems to be the XP Repair; if you have windows Xp setup CD.

I'm sorry, Archean, my rbdss.sys appears to be an old issue. I think it has nothing to do with the bad automatic update that has been going around.

I did some digging online and found this thread, where a lot of other people are having issues with yesterday's automatic update.

Thanks Arc, but I didn't said it may be the same for es336td as well. Thats why I advised him to do the above; so at least to have an idea which driver/service etc. may be causing this. And as he said he can't boot into safe mode; it will not be easy for him to use system restore. So only other options left are xp setup cd's repair option or the console.

Sorry for the silly multiple posts... it wouldn't let me post these pix...

Initial BSoD
BSoDHardstop.jpg

Starting in SafeMode
SafeModeafterBSoD.jpg

I downloaded a restore disc from a thread on here and started with that. It ran through a bunch of stuff but didn't give me a menu or a way to open Recovery Console. It then tried to start Windows and I got a similar BSoD, but this time it identified pci.sys as the culprit. I still can't boot to do anything,,, it hangs as in image one, image two, or the pci.sys stop. Any other ideas?

Yeah... I've tried that. I don't have an XP disc... I downloaded an image from another forum. When I use it, it doesn't allow me to boot and gives me the BSoD referencing the pci.sys file. I guess I'll do the reset function... but am not sure if it will wipe things or what. I want to try the ubutu (or whatever) to backup my junk to DVD... just no time with shoveling snow and the like. Thank God for my laptop.

BTW.. I keep getting more upgrade messages for this laptop. I'm running Vista... has anyone had the BSoD with Vista or is it exclusive to XP? Thanx.

In this round of updates, the only issue, I'm aware of is that particular XP update.
It doesn't affect all computer, though.
I updated 2 XP installations - no problem, 2 Vistas - no problem.

If you don't have Windows CD, you still can access recovery console, by doing this:

Download Windows Recovery Console: http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso
Download, and install free Imgburn: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
Using Imgburn, burn rc.iso to a CD.
Boot to the CD...let it finish loading.
When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

Thanks for updating about it Broni; also ES once you have gone through it and uninstalled the update responsible for this situation; as a precaution don't forget to create a new restore point; because whatever you do in Recovery Console have no bearing in your old restore points.

I still can't get into RC... R doesn't cut it... the only thing that works is F6 to change the drive type.

What happen when you press R at the Repair/Recover screen? is it a SATA HDD? if so you may need to fix that in BIOS; by enabling IDE Emulation or AHCI

Yep SATA drive. The F6 is if I have RAID or something like that. I am at work for the 1st time since last Friday due to weather. I'll check out everything when I get home.

Still no luck...

I downloaded the rc disc and burned it. It boots, but R does nothing. Once it goes through the startup mess it reboots and I get another BSoD referencing pci.sys.

Is there a way to just download the Recovery Console and have it boot as if I had pressed R? I REALLY don't want to do the Dell hard reset sequence... I've gone to all the suggested threads... nothing... any other ideas?

Yes, you have to press F6, when prompted at the bottom of the screen and provide floppy/CD with hard drive drivers.

I don't have any disks. So, you're telling me I need to find out what model it is, go to the manufacturer, and download the drivers? I'm kinda stupid sometimes... sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back