BSOD different errors everytime. User is flummoxed big time.

Hi Guys.

Getting really annoyed with regular BSODs, usually occurring in a middle of NBA 2K11 or when I play 1080p video. Or really random times.

Here's my specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 @2.66
4GB DDR2-800 (2 x Kingston 2GB)
MB: Asus P5Q-SE2
VideoCard: Palit 9500GT Super 1024MB
500GB Samsung HDD 7200rpm
PSU: 500W Orion
OS: Dual Boot WinXP-64bit (Professional-SP3) / Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bot (6.1, Build 7600)
Overclock: NO

I've attached my last 5 dumps for your analysis. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• miniDUMPS.zip
    181.5 KB · Views: 3
I read five of your most recent dumps and nothing definitive as to the cause was cited other than hardware. However, with your symptoms and the fact that you have four different error codes there is a the possibility of corrupted memory. Thus, for diagnostic purposes we recommend you run memtest on your RAM.

1. Go to www.memtest.org and download the latest ISO version which is 4.20. It is free and perfectly safe.

2. Burn ISO to a CD.

3. Place CD in your drive and reboot with CD in drive. (You might have to place your drive as first bootable in your BIOS) The test will take over.

There is a Tutorial: How to use Memtest in our Guides and Tutorials forum; follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed; use the newer. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Step1 - Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. The only exception is if you start getting errors before 7 Passes then you can skip to Step 2.

There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Step 2 – Because of errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

* Get back to us with the results.

*** If Memtest shows no errors then find the voltage specs of your RAM and compare it to the voltage setting in your BIOS. Do they match? How about the timings?

WOW.

Both RAM sticks had errors. The older one had 3 errors before the 2nd pass. The newer stick had one before the 3rd pass.

I'm hoping that since Kingston has a lifetime warranty on these suckers, they'd replace them for free. Except i have to look for the receipts.

Do you guys have an idea what caused these errors? I've been using these two sticks for about 2 years now and I've been getting BSODs for the past month only. No change in hardware, just an upgrade to Windows 7 last year.

Again, Thanks a lot! I am forever in your debt.

Why RAM goes bad we can't really say. Even the best memory manufactures have their memory fail on occasion and Kingston is one of the best.

Let us know how the new memory works out for you.

Got hold of a 2GB DDR2-800 stick from a friend. He got it last month and had no problems.

Used it and everything was running smoothly for about 5 hours, then...BAAAAM!

BSOD again. I attached the dump files for your examination. It didn't indicate an error like the ones before, so I'm guessing PSU?

Waiting for your expert advice....

Attachments

• New Compressed (zipped) Folder.zip
    45 KB · Views: 2
Updated my Nvidia drivers and finally got the RAM stick replacement. Just using one stick now, and another BSOD.

ntoskrnl.exe

Attaching the dump for your analysis.

It always happens in the middle of NBA 2K11. :(

Attachments

• Mini032411-01.dmp
    160 KB · Views: 2
Okay, first your error is 0x3B and these are usually caused by faulty video drivers.

Second, though it wasn't cited as the cause the NBA 2K11.exe was noted in the minidump.

Third, again memory corruption was repeated 4 times in this dump as the issue.

So...

A. Go to the Asus website, find your exact model motherboard, and see if your memory is on their Qualified Vendors List. Keep in mind this list is not exshaustive.

B. From said website update your board to the latest drivers including chipset and you should seriously consider updating to the latest BIOS if you haven't done so already. Keep in mind a BIOS update requires that 1) you don't lose power and 2) not to do over a wireless connection.

C. For your video card drivers I suggest...

1. Download Driver Sweeper free version to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Sweeper but ONLY for the video card drivers. I had someone use it on their chipset drivers! If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay; just leave all other drivers alone.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

*** I am also now suspicious of your power supply.

Back