I recently ordered parts to build a new computer. System specs are as follows:

Antec smartpower 2.0 400 watt
Asus a8v deluxe mobo, bios 1014
Evga 6800gt
2 X 512 corsair value sticks 3200
Athlon 64 3500+ Venice core
Seagate 200gb sata hard drive
Windows XP professional SP2

I kind of got in a hurry when I was putting it together and plugged the molex connector into my 6800GT backwards and fried the video card. I RMA’d it and got a replacement. While I was waiting for my replacement I put in an old Geforce 4 MX 440. Problem was I kept getting blue screens right after the windows XP logo screen. This would only happen on cold boots after the computer was off for 5 or 6 hours. I could not reproduce the blue screens by restarting or anything, it would only happen after the computer was off overnight. When I got the blue screens I would simply reboot and everything would run fine. No lockups or anything, just the blue screens when I would cold boot. The errors codes that I remember are 0x000007E and 0x000000B. I stopped keeping track because it would never be the same one.

I ran diagnostics and my hard drive that came up clean, ran memtest86 and it came up clean, ran prime95 and nothing crashed. Closely monitored my voltages and temperatures through asus probe, processor was running cool and my power supply voltages always stayed in the 5% margin of error. I updated my bios and video card drivers. I have the ram sticks in slots 1 and 3 which is correct for this board if I want to run dual channel.

I have completely exhausted everything I could think of so I finally rma’d the motherboard and my new one should be coming in a few days. I’m wondering if I should also get a new power supply just incase I messed it up somehow when I plugged in the molex connector backwards. I thought the power supply would be ok since it has the overvoltage protection….I hate to dump another $100 for a power supply if I don’t need one, but I’m also at my whits end at what could be causing these blue screens and I don’t want to damage my new components if my power supply is acting weird. I’m not sure if I messed something up when I plugged in my molex backwards or if I have a faulty component somewhere.

Should I also order a new power supply? And if yes, what kind and how many watts? Could my old one be damaged, or am I overlooking something somewhere? Could it be my processor for some reason? This is becoming frustrating and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back