BSOD on start up, can't boot to safe mode on Windows Vista

SetzerGabbz

Recently when playing Minecraft, I would occasionally get a BSOD during graphic intensive parts. Today while playing, it happened again, but this time whenever my computer reboots, I'll get a BSOD on startup.

I booted to Safe Mode, and Windows said it was my NVIDIA driver (I have a Geforce 8600 GT). I downloaded the most recent driver, but got another BSOD. I booted to the last known good configuration, another BSOD. Did a system recovery to yesterday, another BSOD. Only this time, now when I try to boot to Safe Mode, I will get a black screen with only my mouse visible. Nothing else will start up. I tried another last known good config, but still got a BSOD and Safe Mode still won't work. I don't have the Windows disc.

Not really sure what to do at this point, but if you need any more info, let me know.

Also, I'm getting an error with nvlddmkm.sys and the code is 0x0000116.

So, I'm guessing it's my graphics card.

0x116 errors are caused by bad video drivers. nvlddmkm.sys is an Nvidia video driver.

I suggest doing the following...

1. Go to our Download section and click on Utilities and then download Driver Sweeper 3.1 to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver
Sweeper and remove ONLY the video card drivers. I had someone use it on their chipset drivers! If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay; just leave all other drivers alone.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

I can't get to my desktop at all. I get a BSOD immediately on a normal startup, and booting into Safe Mode goes into a black screen, with only my mouse cursor visible.

Well, I burned a recovery disk and managed to repair it at first.

Then I installed the latest drivers. My screen started flickering, and the border on my open windows were flashing different colors. Rebooted, BSOD on startup. Went into Safe Mode and tried what you suggested, and that didn't fix it. Tried another system recovery with the disk, and that didn't work. So, I downloaded the new drivers again, and selected for it to get rid of all previous drivers. It started to install, and managed to boot normally during installation, but when it came time for it to restart I got another BSOD at startup.

I'm getting pretty frustrated, to say the least.

If you can attach the most recent minidumps in your next post. What are your system temps like? Are all fans running especially your video card's fan?

Temperature's fine, and the fans run. I cleaned out all the dust and everything, too. Here are the minidumps. After a bunch of system restores and booting from a disk, it's running again, I just have flickering now whenever I play some games, and I'm more or less afraid to play Minecraft anymore.

Here are my minidumps, nonetheless.

Attachments

• Mini082111-01.dmp
    191 KB · Views: 1
  • Mini082411-01.dmp
    191 KB · Views: 0
  • Mini091111-01.dmp
    161.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Mini091111-02.dmp
    163 KB · Views: 0
  • Mini091111-03.dmp
    163 KB · Views: 0
And a few more.

Attachments

• Mini091111-04.dmp
    163 KB · Views: 1
  • Mini091111-05.dmp
    162.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Mini091111-06.dmp
  • Mini091111-07.dmp
  • Mini091711-01.dmp
    162.5 KB · Views: 1
I read the second set of files and every one was the same 0x116 and every one cited the Nvidia driver nvlddmkm.sys as the issue.

There is the possibility, again I say possibility, that the card itself is bad. Have your tried this card in another system to see if it works?

Tried to update my driver to the newest one again to try and fix the flickering. Got another BSoD. I'm in Safe Mode right now.

Attachments

• Mini092011-01.dmp
    163.6 KB · Views: 1
Alright so, did another Restore and now it's not recognizing my card at all, so it would seem to me my card's completely screwed. Under the device manager it's listed under "Other Devices" and when I go to Add New Hardware, it only lists for the integrated video card on the motherboard.

The latest minidump is the same as before. Can you borrow another video card and temporarily install it to see if it recognized?

Back