BSOD - Random Shutdowns

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an HP Pavillion Elite that is only 8 months old. Over the past month or so, I occassionally get the BSOD.

The BSOD has text that only remains for 5 seconds, then the screen goes blank and the system restarts automatically. Once restarted, all is OK again.

Each time when I read the screen for that few seconds it indicates DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE, however, at the moment it happens, I was not trying to enter sleep mode...just working on the computer.

Below is what I was able to retrieve after the restart as far as details of the last two crashes...

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 9f
BCP1: 00000003
BCP2: 875F7028
BCP3: 875F8AC8
BCP4: 84DD9E28
OS Version: 6_0_6002
Service Pack: 2_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini072909-01.dmp
C:\Users\Roger\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-122070-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\Roger\AppData\Local\Temp\WER2DD.tmp.version.txt

Attached is the dump file for this latest instance.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 9f
BCP1: 00000003
BCP2: 875E2028
BCP3: 874FA670
BCP4: 86B9EC80
OS Version: 6_0_6002
Service Pack: 2_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini072809-01.dmp
C:\Users\Roger\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-128201-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\Roger\AppData\Local\Temp\WER1D01.tmp.version.txt

Does anyone have an idea as to what is causing this to happen from the information above. If so, I would sure appreciate it!

Thanks

Your error is 0x0000009F: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
A driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state. Typically occurs during events that involve power state transitions, such as shutting down, or moving into or out of standby or hibernate mode.

In your next post attach your minidumps. Because we are looking at your BSODs the mods will most likely move your post to the BSOD sub-forums.

How to find your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

It is an 0x9F error and it cites the Visat driver disk.sys as the culprit. Unfortunantly OS drivers are usually too general to be of much help.

disk.sys is a part of Windows Vista and is related to: Storage

Default location: %WinDir%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\disk.inf_e0b0b355\disk.sys

Description: PnP (Plug and Play) Disk Driver

* I would get a hold of HP support (since it is only 8 months old it should still be under warrenty. Give them the following information:

1. The issues you are having.

2. The minidumps were read and the error is 0x9F: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

3. The driver cited is Vista driver disk.sys

* This is their responsibility to correct. Let us know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back