BSOD - STOP - 0x00000024 - Always ntfs.sys related?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks

Newbie here with a STOP - 0x00000024 error after powering off my laptop when it wouldn't come out of hibernation. Big mistake! Spec is:

HP DV6174 (circa 5 years old, never backed up, no recovery disk - typical)
2Gb Ram
120GB SATA HDD
WinXP SP3 or the latest SP/Patch at least

Now returns BSOD on every boot, on choosing Safe Mode (all options), Last Known Good etc - Windows logo appears, progress bar gets to about 25% of the way across then BSOD, then auto restarts

I know nothing about Linux, however after a bit of a Google and finding various NTFS.SYS related threads, I have:

1)Booted off a Knoppix 6.2 USB stick (CDdrive failing to read any CD-R/DVD-R)
2)Open Terminal session and SU to root
3)umount /dev/sda1 (after running cfdisk to confirm NTFS entry)
4)ntfsfix /dev/sda1

5)Message within Terminal session returned that command completed successfully
6)Shutdown Knoppix, remove USB stick and power up >>>>> same BSOD

Question - is this particular message always related to NTFS.SYS corruption? I don't get NTFS.SYS mentioned in the BSOD 'msg' at all ie the STOP text and accompanying Hex is all I get.

Have I missed something, or can the STOP 0x24 message relate to another issue? Both HDD and memory have been reseated.

The XP CD I have is older than the version on the laptop and won't find the HDD in Recovery Console, probably doesn't have the SATA drivers on the CD - so can't run CHKDSK /R

Via Knoppix i have copied my data onto a USB HDD, although not validated yet on another XP machine. Once I have done this, i'd be more willing to test things.

Thoughts very much appreciated.

It would be much more helpful if you can pull the minidumps out of that notebook; and post them here for analysis. You can find them in C:\Windows\minidump. You should be able to do this by using that same bootable cd.

It would be much more helpful if you can pull the minidumps out of that notebook; and post them here for analysis. You can find them in C:\Windows\minidump. You should be able to do this by using that same bootable cd.
Thanks for your input Archean

Have located the .dmp files but all 5 don't appear to have any content apart from

"PAGEDUMP"

Last modified in 2007 - is this what you'd expect?

Not really, those are probably old/outdated dump files.

I guess only option left then would be to boot from windows xp recovery console cd (also you need to have your windows xp cd handy); then try to run sfc /scannow, to see whether it fix your issue.

Just to close this one out, I sourced an XP Pro CD (SP2) which loaded the correct SATA drivers for Recovery Console to see my HDD - one looooon Chkdsk /r later, all is well

Thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back