BSOD when shutting down computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

gingerbill

im using XP home edition . I have all the updates and latest drivers . My computer runs fine except when playing one game called EVE online . I know its a problem with the game and not my computer as many people playing the game have the same problem . I dont think i can solve the problem , i think ill have to rely on the people who make the game doing that . What i want to know is if getting this error and just switching of my computer will do it harm in the long run , if not im happy to put up with it , otherwise i will stop playing the game .

My error message - If i play the game and shutdown windows its ok , but if i play the game and then use any other program or game i get the error when i shutdown my computer . I get the blue screen of death after it say saving settings and then shutting down computer.

Driver-IRQL - NOT- LESS - OR - EQUAL
tech info -
xxxstop:0x000000D1/0x0000000/0x000000Z,
0x00000000,0xE1EA5835 .

like i say im not expecting to be able to stop the problem , just wondering if the computer not shutting down at its final stage will do any damage to my computer . thanks for any advice.

Sorry, but I've just scanned over your post.

Looks to me (just from a glance) like an IRQ and possibly a I/O conflict (that is to say a resource conflict).

This being the case, it shouldn't cause harm.

I'll take another look later if somebody else doesn't give you a better answer.

OK, first off, does the error message contain a particular file name?

Also, what are your system specs? (down to mouse, method of connecting to the web, etc)

This seems to be a common problem that is caused by IRQ confilcts, flakey drivers (particulary for NIC's), outdated drivers, or a system error (which sp1 and the roll-up patches should fix for XP)

take a look at this page...

http://support.microsoft.com/search...L&maxResults=25&Titles=false&numDays=&InCC=on

...and come back if you still need help.

like i say i dont want to solve the problem , its the games fault , when you quit the game it cant be freeing up the resources its been using properly . I have windows XP , FX5900 ultra 256Mb , 1 gig ram , microsoft mouse , 512k cable internet . Im using all the latest drivers and updates . I will have a look at the link you have posted .

error doesnt mention any file names . I just want to know if it can damage my computer/hard drive . Im working round the problem by reseting my computer after playing that game before i load any others .

My best guess, based on the information in the link above, is that your compuetr is safe. That view is only an informed guess though. Without diagnosing what exactly the problem is, it's just not possible to know for absolutely sure.

If you are interupting the sutdown process, and XP is reading/writing to disk at the same time, i could potentially corrupt data on the disk, which could cause problems on the next boot, solvable (in the main ) with chkdsk /r in the recovery console. This is particularly relevant if you have an NTFS partition(s), although it also applies to FAT32 to a lesser extent.

It is fairly likely that everything will be ok with the physical hardware though.

thanks . I understand you cant over any guarantees :) , i was just wanting some opinions . It doesnt seem to interupt the hard drive as its finished saving settings and then goes to BSOD instead of shutting down .

It CAN damage your computer!

A Bsod can damage your computer! OF course it can! Didn't you see the warning message in the Bsod screen that warns of hardware damage? Check it out.

A Bsod can damage your computer, ESPECIALLY playing a game, if, the hard drive is in the middle of an write operation, and the Bsod does it's thing. That can damage your hard drive and it HAS happened to me.

A Bsod can damage your Video Card by simply changing the frequency of the card's scan rate, making the card send a too high a frequency scan signal to your monitor, thereby blowing out your monitor AND blowing out your video card, AND blowing out your motherboard! So whoever says that it can't, is really quite a noob. Don't listen to them. Do NOT allow your computer do Bsod! The hardware warning's there for a reason. Also! Run Chkdsk every single time this happens.

Steam

I am assuming you own the free Steam program, because this is fairly common among those who use Steam. The ones who experience BSoD's that I know have learned to accept it, I once had the problem while going into the properties of Steam, even. if you have tried everything and nothing worked, try backing up all your data and trading your current computer in for a new one. I have never had the problem on the computer I am using now, but on my other one I get the blue screen every so often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back