BSOD when trying to install Vista 64-bit

mglass2k9

Posting this from my phone since my pc is unusable.

Was working fine for the past year or so with a few random bsods here and there.

Woke up today and my pc randomly started chaining bsods. I couldn't keep it booted up longer than a minute. Same issues in safe mode. So I formated my drive via the vista disc that came with my pc. But now when I try and reinstall windows I get a bsod after it copies the files. Any help would be greatly appriciated. Can't really afford to buy new parts or a new pc.

Sorry. Not too well versed in these things.

The error message I'm getting says "a clock interupt was not recived on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval."

The code at the bottom says:
STOP: 0x0000101 (0x0000000000000030,0x000000000000000,0xFFFFFA60005EC180,0x0000000000000001

Sigh..now its not even booting up the disc. When I start up my pc now it just says BOOTMGR is missing.

Sorry for all the bumps. I'm panicing right now and posting all of this from my phone

Sorry about the delay. Something called for my immediate attention and I am now just able to respond.

0x9C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

* Have you ever done a harddrive or memtest diagnostics before?

* Is any of your hardware overclocked?

* We're looking at a hardware issue with your system.

I've never overclocked nor have I ever run diagnostics on this machine. I really only used it for gaming. And I understand if you have to take your time. Any help is appriciated no matter how long it takes. And a slight update:
I tried to restore bios to default settings to see if it would help. That's what caused the boot issue but I fixed that. Now when I load up the disc everything freezes and I'm given a new error.

"The system encountered an uncorrectable hardware error"

STOP:0x00000124(0x000000000000000,0xfffffa800431c030,0x00000000b62000007,0x00000000000080a01.

Here is a template that I put together to explain both 0x124 and 0x9C errors.

Your error is 0x124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR and is described as "A fatal hardware error has occurred."

This error code and definition has replaced the older XP code 0x9C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION and though it is older the definition still is applicable: This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

Honestly, this is a very difficult error to work with because as it says a clear diagnosis rarely comes forth and I have never seen a minidump with either error codes give a definitive answer. I know IT techs that don't like working with it. What makes it so difficult is that it can be any hardware in your system -- and I mean any. Minidumps simply cite hardware as the issue and nothing more definitive.

Here are some of the causes that were determined to be the source of 0x124/0x9C errors from posters here and abroad: NIC, DVD/CD drives, dust build up around the CPU that caused overheating of said CPU, bulging capacitors hidden by heatsink, video card, psu, motherboard, and external harddrive connected by USB.

For further information on 0x124 errors see this: http://www.sevenforums.com/crash-lockup-debug-how/35349-stop-0x124-what-means-what-try.html

*** Let's start with harddrive diagnostics. First, do you have access to another system and second, what is the make of your harddrive?

There is another machine in the house. However I won't have access to it until later. Since this machine was prebuilt. I'm not 100% certain what the hd is but I belive its hitachi deskstar.

Regarding dust etc. This machine is pretty dusty. Perhaps that caused the issue.

Dust will shut a system down fast and could very well be the reason your received the 0x101 error that has to do with a multi-core not functioning properly.

1.Get yourself a can of compressed air.

2. Open up your case and check for dust build up especially around and on the cpu heat sink.

3. DO NOT turn the can of air upside down!

4. Spray in short bursts 6 inches away and clear the heat sink and fan of all dust.

5. Clean all other fans including your video card fan. Agai: Short Bursts.

* See if it boots up. While the system is open find your harddrive. The make should be on it.

Well I just cleaned it out. Dust caked all over the heatsink and gpu. Can't really tell you if it properly boots though as I seem to be having issues with my moniter(today just isn't my day....)but I got the proper make on my hard drive. I was right. Its hitachi deskstar 500gb. As soon as I can figure out what's going on with my moniter(will grab a new one here shortly)ill tell you if there's any changes. I've used my graphics card and onboard gpu both of which aren't giving me a signal. And everything in the pc is starting up, which leads me to belive its the moniter.

I had to work on my mother's own system and it too had a caked heatsink. Once I cleaned it out all went to normal.

Also, it could very well be your monitor cable. Check that first. Use another cable for testing. If you are going to use your graphics card make sure the onboard is disabled again in the BIOSD

Well I'm not having any luck with the moniter. It wasn't working prior to me opening up my rig. Its actually what got me to open it in the first place. To make sure my gpu wasn't loose. I've tried 2 different moniters and I'm not getting a signal from either my gpu or the onboard gpu. I've checked the cables and theyy seem to be alright. Like I said before;everything is running. My heatsink is on, the lights are on, and all of the fans are spinning. Looks like I'm digging myse deeper and deeper. Thanks again for taking the time to help, even as the situation keeps changing.

Okay, here is what we need:

1. Age of your system.

2. Is this system from the likes of Dell, HP, etc., or did you or a friend build this system?

3. If the former please link us to the model on the manufactures website.

4. If the latter please give us the hardware specs: motherboard make and model, type and amount of RAM installed, video card make and model, power supply make and model as well as the wattage it purports to supply.

* if you haven't yet, use a new monitor cable.

Okay the system was premade about 2 years ago from cyberpower pc. I don't belive they have an actual make on the system anymore.

Spec wise for me its
Gpu:msi 460gtx
Power supply:corsair TX650w
Mobo:MSI(not sure of the model make)
Ram 2xkingston ddrII 2gig sticks
Cpu:intel core 2 quad

Well you certainly have good parts. That is a good psu.

Let's do the cheapest thing first. Since you have already tried another monitor and that didn't work take my previous suggestion and get another cable and see if that rectifies the issue.

If that doesn't rectify the issue here is a simple and sometimes tedious but tried and true method: Uninstall everything from your motherboard except power cable, cpu, and RAM. Now boot up. If it runs and no system shutdown occurs then shut down again and add one piece of hardware. Reboot and repeat as often as it takes.

Well a slight update. Tried the method of removing pieces and so far I'm still not getting a response to my moniter. At this point I can't really tell if I accidentally unplugged something or not. I really don't want to have to spend money to get this thing fixed, but it's looking like I might have to take it to a shop :(

Do you have any friends who have working tech knowledge? if so, and especially if they have built systems, have them check your cables, monitor, and connections.

Also, is your video card set properly in its slot?

Sorry for the delay. Might have found the problem. Do you think these errors would have been caused by a cable connecting my harddrive being loose? I only ask because I noticed I only had one cable hooked up to my harddrive, and it was the cable hooking it up to the mobo. There's 3 slots total on my HD, and now one of them has a bent pin.

Absolutely. We've seen more than our fair share of issues with cables, especially the SATA cables.

Yup. It was the sata cable. I'm thinking I might have to buy a new hd. Can't test it atm since I'm at work but ill update this thread if the hd was the issue.

Well it wasnt the cables, as far as I know. My moniter still isnt registering. Everything -looks- fine but I still dont know. The only problem I can actually see is that one of the pins in the one of the three slots on my hard drive is bent, and im unable to plug anything into it because of it. Wanted to say thanks again for the help, and sorry for making this situation more and more complicated.

Back