BSOD while gaming, need help fast

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcafiero

first off to make my life easier. im going to copy and paste my thread from another forum. I have a mini dump or two at the end as well

To start off. Im not 100% positive it is a gfx card related problem. My computer came with an nvidia 8600, these problems happened with the original card but not as much as now. a few months ago i put the GTS 250 in. Since then it has been doing the same stuff, just a bit more frequently.

my computer plays all games I throw at it fine, I never have problems with WoW and most steam games on extra high settings. This started when I first started playing Aion and Left 4 Dead 2. My computer will randomly freeze with a sound loop, or I will get 1 of 2 blue screen errors:

1. "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"

2. "A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval"

Every time it blue screens its always one or the other between those 2. Mind you this is after about 10 to 45 minutes of gameplay

I dont know what the problem is. Ive tried playing on lower settings. Ive tried underclocking my gfx card a slight bit. My cpu some times runs kind of hot. 50-70 celsius average. hottest ive ever seen is 73. but i dont have any programs that will log what temp it was at when it crashes. I dont know whether its a ram problem, bad cpu core, faulty gfx card, temperatures, driver problem. I really am pulling my hair out to figure this out. I can give you guys as much info as possible, and maybe you can help me figure it out, or atleast help me with some programs i can DL that can figure out whats wrong.

Computer:

-Vista 32-bit
-AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6400+ 3.2 GHz
-Asus M2A-VM Motherboard
-4 gigs of nvidia DDR2 ram
-Nvidia GTS 250 card Current driver is the EVGA Recommended 195.62 (its an evga card, and it was doing this stuff with the nvidia current driver too. i put this driver in a day or two ago.)
-Ultra LS500 Lifetime Series 500W Power Supply
-Case is the NZXT Alpha

Changes:
Since I bought the computer the only hardware changes ive done was:
580 watt power supply -> 500 watt (Power surge fried the first one)
Nvidia 8600 gt -> Nvidia 250 GTS

Drivers:
I bought this computer already built. The only drivers I have touched were the ones for the graphics card. the 186.16 Recommended by nvidia and the 195.62 recommended by EVGA

here are 2 pics of the computer (Ive been told my wiring is messy and could be a problem. I dont know)
http://i48.tinypic.com/1267ced.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/2wgi17d.jpg

two of my mini dumps :
http://stirkbin.com/a4433
http://stirkbin.com/b4280

As i said, this happens in particular games. Particularly now its L4D2. it either blue screens or freezes in place after a certain amount of play time. usually less than 30 minutes. it actually just happend about 10 minutes ago, but it didnt blue screen and theres nothing in the mini dump file. all i know is that alot of the blue screen minidumps say that its "probably caused by ntkrpamp.exe"

Attach your 5 most recent minidumps. If this is only happening while gaming it could be your drivers are the issue.

I would also check the heat threshold on your video card as well as check the system temps as a whole while gaming.

Attach your 5 most recent minidumps. If this is only happening while gaming it could be your drivers are the issue.

I would also check the heat threshold on your video card as well as check the system temps as a whole while gaming.

okay well i have the 2 mini dumps right there in the first, ill link them again, its easier for me to link the copy and pasted url. if i have to attach the 4 of these, i will, but either way all the info is in the url link
http://stirkbin.com/a4433
http://stirkbin.com/b4280

MY video card hasnt been over heating. its been running from like 45-55 celsius max i think 60 in the highs.

i just looked at the heat log for cpu, seeing as how the computer just froze and crashed again on l4d. temps were 60-70ish. the highest i saw in the log was 77 celsius at one point. (( I looked it up and For my processor is says the average temp is 60-70 celsius))

Edit: a few more mini dumps.
http://stirkbin.com/a4436
http://stirkbin.com/a4437

alot of the minidumps new and old say that its "probably caused by ntkrpamp.exe". and mention it in the stack text

I will state again that i have not touched any drivers aside from my video card. nor have i run a diagnostic on my ram.

Edit 2: My last 3 crashes (all today) Were during games, and they were actually just computer lock ups (screen frozen in place with sound looping rapidly, in which i had to manually power the computer off) they werent blue screens today. this isnt uncommon though.

Heat issues will shut down a system real fast and that is what I believe you are dealing with here. If your CPU is reaching temps beyond the designed parameters then either a) you need better air flow and/or b) you need a better cooling unit for your cpu.

77 Celcius = 170.4 Farenheit.

i agree that could be the problem. im just not sure cause everything ive read said its a ram thing. and i read that for my processor 65-75 isnt anthing abnormal.

edit: i mean also, its a small case.. i have 3 fans and a heatsink. idk. my temperatures have never gone way out of bounds for its model

Try this simple test. Take off your side panel, find a small fan and have it blow air into your case. You don't want hurricane force type air flow :) but something steady that blows directly towards the cpu, gpu, etc. Then boot-up and play the games that has been causing your crashes.

We are trying to determine if it is indeed a heat issue.

have a big fan running next to it now. we'll see what happens

edit: btw thank you very much for your time route, i appreciate it. ill post as soon as something happens, or doesnt. hopefully

K so i decided to play left 4 dead and turn on the settings on the craziest absolute highest i could. this was with the case open and a big fan blowing in it. i played it for a good hour and a half before it ended up locking up. before with all the settings on high it froze after about 20 minutes of gameplay. so that fan blowing in it was a definite improvement but it still crashed

Hmmmm, okay now try playing the same game under the same conditions but with lowered settings. What are the results?

I have a feeling that the thermal interface material has not been properly applied between processor and HSF. Re-apply some TIM and you should see temperatures improve significantly.

yeah near crashes, right before and such, my cpu is anywhere from 70-77c. and that is hot. also my gpu can get in the 70s too. it seems my comp might be hot all around. on other forums they are having me look into getting new heatsinks / thermal compounds. but if my gpu is getting too hot too i might just have to get a new case

MAJOR EDIT: At my girlfriends with the side panel off i ran a huge fan next to the computer. i played left 4 dead 2 on and off for a good 4 hours. It DID NOT crash once today. no bluescreening or freezing! the temperatures on average were still in the 50-70c's
with a high of 72-74. but every time i minimized to look at the logs. my cpu and GPU were both at about 65-69C. I guess that solves that! Mind you... i can buy a good heatsink and some good compound. that will solve the CPU problem. but what to do about the GPU heating so much? (( im assuming its even over heating at all, is it? ))

Ah ha! Good work. Heat can be a nasty thing. And you are correct: a good heat sink and new compound should do your cpu right.

I went back and read your OP and I need to ask: Were you getting these issues with 8600GT? Are the Nvidia forums reporting any heat issues with 250GTS card design or EVGA's model in particular?

Ah ha! Good work. Heat can be a nasty thing. And you are correct: a good heat sink and new compound should do your cpu right.

I went back and read your OP and I need to ask: Were you getting these issues with 8600GT? Are the Nvidia forums reporting any heat issues with 250GTS card design or EVGA's model in particular?

I actually would get some of these problems with the 8600gt. except it was maybe once a week or so. no where near as often. even with big loads. it was extensive after the gts250. nothing i read has said gts250s run particularly hot.. i know the nvidia series itself does though... maybe i just need a new case..

It might be too big.. i really cant tell...

Too big for the case? Well you'll have to compare the dimensions given on newegg with the dimensions of your case to determine that.

I would suggest that you take a piece of paper / cardboard and cut it to match the width of your case from inside. Then measure and see if its more than 12.7cm (which is the approximate height of the HSF). Also be careful and check that none of your RAM slots are covered by the heatsink and even if they are ensure that there is sufficient clearence above the slot to house the RAM module.

I looked up your case on NewEgg. Does that side case fan draw air out or in? Also, according to the description I read there is only the side and rear fans and not a front one, correct?

It also appears that the front cages are in such a way that they would partially block air flow from flowing in. Is there a way to put a fan in front to draw outside air in?

I looked up your case on NewEgg. Does that side case fan draw air out or in? Also, according to the description I read there is only the side and rear fans and not a front one, correct?

It also appears that the front cages are in such a way that they would partially block air flow from flowing in. Is there a way to put a fan in front to draw outside air in?

the side panel fan blows air to the GPU and CPU. the back fan pushes air out of the computer. and yes there is no front fan. nor would i have ANY idea on how to put one there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back