BSOD Windows Vista minidump attached

Hello,

Since 3 months I've got many BSOD with my Windows Vista. Sometime it's going well for 1 or 2 weeks and then several BSOD in a few days. I reinstalled many hard- and software and all windows-updates are installed, but still I have BSOD's.

I have the last four minidumpplease attached. Please help me.

System:
Intel Quore 2 Q8200 2.33 GHz 4 GB
Windows Home Premium SP2 32 bit
Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT

Thanks

Attachments

• Mini062811-01.dmp
    150.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Mini071511-01.dmp
    150.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Mini071611-01.dmp
    150.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Mini071711-01.dmp
    151 KB · Views: 2
One of the crashes cites sptd.sys (part of Daemon Tools and Alcohol) if you have either of these installed, please uninstall it. Hopefully this may fix the issue, otherwise we may have to consider either RAM or HDD as suspects.

I got interrupted during the debug and then Archean got in before me, so I might as well post my findings. Three of the dumps blamed Pool Corruption which is usually caused by a bad driver. One had a DirectX driver in memory at the time of the crash, one had sptd.sys and ataport.sys in the memory and the last showed no driver. The fourth dump only showed a windows driver as the blame. I think if sptd.sys was the cause it would be named in the majority of the dumps and be seen in more than one of the stack traces.

Running Driver Verifier would be the quickest way to determine if a driver was to blame for all the crashes. Following that I would expect the RAM or hard drive as Archean has suggested. My money would be on failing RAM.

One of the crashes cites sptd.sys (part of Daemon Tools and Alcohol) if you have either of these installed, please uninstall it. Hopefully this may fix the issue, otherwise we may have to consider either RAM or HDD as suspects.

Thanks for your reply!

I uninstalled Daemon Tools.

HDD: chkdsk: no errors

Hello Mark 56,

Thanks for your reply!

I used Driver Verifier a few times today but no errors. All drivers are verified.

I updated my bios and it was succesfull.
CHKDSK: no errors on HDD. (In the past some bad sectors but the are marked)

This evening a new BSOD, but an other kind of BSOD. Minidump attached. BSOD probably caused by aswsp.sys, so I uninstalled Avast Virusscanner.

Do you have a new hint?

Attachments

• Mini071711-02.dmp
    151.3 KB · Views: 3
aswsp.sys belongs to Avast Anti-Virus, also I noticed that sptd.sys is still present and loading at startup, which means Daemon Tools/Alcohol was not correctly uinstalled (if you uninstalled either of it already).

To protect your system during this period, I would suggest you to consider installing MSE.

At this moment I would suggest you to uninstall Avast (temporarily), and if you haven't uninstalled Daemon Tools please do so at earliest by booting into safe mode.

If you have uninstalled Daemon Tools, then:

(before proceeding please generate a new Restore Point)

Boot in safe mode, and Click start > Run, type msconfig and press enter - look under startup or services for Daemon Tools - uncheck sptd.sys and this will stop Daemon Tools from starting.

Reboot.

SPTD.sys may not be deleted when you remove Daemon Tools - in that case it has to be done manually. For that purpose, Click on Start > Programs > Accessories > Right Click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator, then type:

1. CD\
(to go to root of OS drive)
2. Dir sptd.sys /s
this will give you location of sptd.sys, please remove it.

Kindly do keep us posted, thanks.

Hello Archean,

Thanks for your help.

Yesterday I uninstalled Daemon Tools. Today I checked MSConfig and there was no Daemon Tools or SPTD.sys at start up or services.

I found SPTD.sys in C:\windows\system32\drivers and I deleted it, like you said.

After that Event Viewer showed an error: Event ID 7026: "the next startup driver could not be loaded: SPTD".

With some help from the Daemon Tools Forum I disabled SPTD in the Registry

Today NO BSOD, but that's no guarantee of success

I guess we can only wait and hope, good luck and please do let us know in case you need further assistance.

Hello Archean,

Last night I installed Daemon Tools again, because I needed cd-emulation. I also installed Microsoft Security Essentials. Everything worked fine till this morning....

When I started the computer I got 5 BSOD's behind each other, caused bij SPTD.sys. The 5 minidumps are the same. The last minidump attached.

I succeeded to get in Safe Mode and I uninstalled Deamon Tools again and I deleted SPTD.sys. Afterthat the computer worked fine.

What could be the reason of malfunction of Daemon Tools???? Do you have an idea??

And which alternative of cd-emulation do you recommend?

Attachments

• Mini072011-05.dmp
    150 KB · Views: 1
Back