BSOD's, minidumps included

Status
Not open for further replies.

IamSam9895

So, I've been getting an excessive amount of bluescreens lately, mostly while playing and kind of 3d gaming, but most recently while running a stress test option on prime95, but the error on the bluescreen during the stress test was different from the errors I get while gaming. Any help?

System specs are as follows.
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ @ about 3ghz
Motherboard: ASUSTeK M2N-E SLI
Memory: 3 GB of DDR2 RAM
Video Cards: 2x nVidia GeForce 9800 GTX+ (512MB each), running in SLI

If you need anything else, just let me know, any help would be appreciated. Also, I'm attaching a few minidumps below.

Three of your errors are 0x000000B8: ATTEMPTED_SWITCH_FROM_DPC
These are generally hardware issues (which often means driver issues). As a rule, be sure you have the latest Service Pack edition of your Windows operating system and are using the best device drivers and software versions. After that, do normal hardware troubleshooting for the device inplicated.

The other three errors are 0xD1 and these are almost always caused by a faulty driver.

In all 6 minidumps they cite the cause as sptd.sys which is a Daemon Tools driver. This has been showing up quite frequently as of late.

Well, I removed all virtual drive software, not sure if that stopped and/or removed sptd.sys, and I attempted to play Assassins Creed. After a few minutes of play, I received the "0x000000B8: ATTEMPTED_SWITCH_FROM_DPC" again. I included the minidump of the crash as well. Again, any help is greatly appreciated.

According to the minidump the driver sptd.sys is still present. Does Daemon Tools have a removal tool?

Well, it had an un-install utility, and that is what I used. I could probably dig around and remove it.

Even doing an unistall with the tools that comes with the software some drivers remain behind. Symantec/Norton is notious for this and they had to make a special removal tool to supplement the uninstall that came with their product. AVG had to make a removal tool as well.

I would certainly agree with you to do a search and find that driver.

Alright, I found it, and removed it, and I believe I removed all necessary registry entries. Again, I was able to play for a few minutes, then I received a "IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" bluescreen. I'm including the minidump again.

Really, thank you so much for your help so far, I'm trying to avoid a reformat, but I'm willing to if I must.

Your errror is 0xA and theese are either caused by hardware issues or a driver attempting to address an IRQ Level it has no business doing.

The driver cited is kmixer.sys and it is a kernel for audio and is part of your Windows OS. Normally Windows OS drivers are too general to be of much help but in the mix was Assassin's Creed which I assume is what you attempted to play.

Here are my suggestions:

1. Update your audio drivers.

2. If you haven't done so already, patch your game.

I was about to try your suggestions, but I bluescreened again, this time without playing anything, It's back to the DPC error. Minidump below.

Yes, it is an 0xB8 and this time it cites Nvenetfd.sys which is a NVIDIA Networking Function Driver belonging to the software NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller Driver.

1. I suggest updating the chipset drivers, et.al., for your motherboard.

2. I am just wondering if you just might be infected. Check out the sticky for 8 Steps in the Virus and Malware form.

Alright, 8 steps completed. Did find a few things, posting logs below. Let me know if I should cross-post this to the Virus & Malware Removal forum too.

Thanks for your help so far, I probably would have reformatted by now had I not gotten your help.

Attachments

• SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log - 04-07-2009 - 01-05-39.log
    2.4 KB · Views: 8
  • mbam-log-2009-04-06 (23-54-43).txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 6
IamSam9895, I suggest posting these logs in the Virus and Malware forum. There are many people a billion times better suited to read them than I am. I certainly don't want to give you advice without required knowledge and experience. :)

By the way, I did look at your SAS log and though I am not an expert it looks like you are infected. They should take good care of you over at the V&M forum.

Well, after some monitoring, I think I may have found the problem. My CPU temp skyrockets under any kind of load, and it seems the bluescreen occurs at around 80C, which is much too hot, I know. I'm going to get a new fan+heatsink today, so that should help. I'm just wondering if that could be the cause of the 0xB8 errors, or if I should look farther.

Heat is a killer so a new heat sink + fan is a good move. I would still do some scanning to see if you are infected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back