Build for my mom

DastardlyDan

Hey all. I'm giving myself headaches working on my spring upgrades for my computer, so I think it would be a good idea to work through a build from scratch. My mom's old Dell (ugh) desktop is about due for a replacement, and she would like to buy a new one this spring if she has the money to do so. So I will be working on a build for her to get some practice in, and I would appreciate any feedback.

* What are you going to use the PC for?
She uses her computer for the internet, her Family Tree Maker program, and some light gaming (pogo.com type games, sometimes installed). She does not do any video or music editing, watching movies, or playing games.

* How much is your budget?
She would like to keep it in the $400 to $500 range.

* Where are you located? (a.k.a. fill out your profile)
Indiana, USA

* Are you willing to buy online?
Yes. I am a frequent Newegg.com user, but I am willing to consider other online sources.

* Are you going to re-use any parts from an earlier build?
We will most likely keep her old hard drive.

* Do you need other peripherals like a monitor, keyboard and mouse, among others?
We will have a keyboard and mouse, and we may keep her old CRT monitor--it still works just fine.

* Have you already bought any parts?
None.

* Do you have an Operating System (OS)?
I will be providing her with Windows 7 64-bit

* Will you need any aftermarket cooling, such as a CPU\GPU cooler or a watercooling setup?
Most likely not, but will consider extra fans as needed/if the price allows. Assuming a single case fan plus fan & heatsink combo for processor.

For starters, we most likely will be able to go completely without a video card. A board with halfway decent in-board video will most likely be enough.

Back