Building pc - how to know which components that will work well together?

Hi!

I'm thinking about building my own PC for the first time.

The jungle of options when it comes to components is a little bit confusing.

I'm value oriented and a way to solve the confusion could for example be to just read Techspots recommended value products and mix them together.

At the same time this feels like bit of a trap. How do I know that the components go well together? In other words how do I know which components that synergize well with other components? I know that you have to make a choice when it comes to Intel or AMD, but all the other stuff - like avoiding bottlenecks etc.

Or perhaps I'm overthinking this, that the mix of components I choose is not that important - or at least that there is some components that is less important than others.

Thanks in advance for answers.

The use of the term 'bottleneck' is somewhat over emphasised, when it comes to thinking about designing a PC build, simply because a bottleneck of some kind will always exist.

Worry less about that and more about what your budget is, and what you're planning on doing with the PC. So start with that: state how much you want to spend as absolute maximum and the main usage for the system, then you can move forward from there.

As for the matter of components best suited to each other, the only one to really worry about is the RAM to be installed in the motherboard - every vendor provides a list of DRAM brands and models they've tested and flagged up as being okay (within the parameters stated, such as 'okay for all 4 slots' or 'only okay with 2'). Of course, they can't test every RAM package on the market but at least if one sticks to something on the list, everything should be okay.

After that, it's a matter of keeping everything cool and stable - the former is achieved through the use of a quality CPU cooler, case, and set of fans; the latter is achieved by use of a good power supply unit. Then, one picks a CPU, graphics, and storage suitable for one's needs and budget.

As neeyik said, power supply quality is a massively vital component selection. Don't skimp on this part. No need for overkill either though, no need to throw a 750 watt Platinum power supply at budget build, but a solid 600 watt Gold for a budget build gives just enough headroom for later upgrades AND provides stable current to your existing parts at high efficiency.

Back