Bulletstorm GPU & CPU Performance In-depth

Julio Franco

Staff member
Bulletstorm GPU & CPU Performance In-depth

First-person shooter Bulletstorm has been out for a week and we must say the generally positive reviews and commentary from critics remind us of the simplistic and old-fashioned shooter Serious Sam. That, plus a generous amount of profanity that is meant to give a flashy spin to the genre.

Read the full review at:
https://www.techspot.com/review/368-bulletstorm-performance/

Please leave your feedback here.

I want this game, but not for $60. When I can find it on sale for at least half that I'll pick it up. Good review!

I'm not at all impressed with that they've done with the UE3.5. All UE games you see have the same art style and design. Characters look like plastic and reflect more light than a mirror.

Good review, not so good looking game.

I know its known for Techspot to do performance reviews. But have you guys ever thought about the inclusion of an actual review regarding the game? I think it would be a first in the internet; an article about not only if they game is worth it, but also if it runs well with our hardware.

Thanks for this article it's really helpful to see this kind of info for games.

I see my trusty 5970 is no longer being included in the benchmarking process :( . Oh well, guess it had to go sometime. I haven't yet removed the fps cap but I can tell you that the game runs silky smooth with an i7 + 5970 combo. Not sure if SLI/Crossfire is functioning as it should, but I do see both of my GPUs running between 20-60% at all times.

lawfer said:
I know its known for Techspot to do performance reviews. But have you guys every thought about the inclusion of an actual review regarding the game? I think it would be a first in the internet; an article about not only if they game is worth it, but also if it runs well with our hardware.

I've been looking for this type of articles everywhere. But they either do a game review, or a performance review. =(

BTW: This game doesn't seem to support SLI yet.

I played a demo for it this last weekend on my friends PS3, and I think it both looks good and was fun to play. I thought the skillshot system was great :D. It felt like a breath of fresh air in the first person shoot genre for me. Most FPS all feel the same, and its hard to find one that brings something new and fun to the table.

I know its known for Techspot to do performance reviews. But have you guys ever thought about the inclusion of an actual review regarding the game? I think it would be a first in the internet; an article about not only if they game is worth it, but also if it runs well with our hardware.

No the thought never crossed my mind … and if I am honest that’s for a reason. Personally I'm not at all interested in reviewing games. I really don’t think many users care to read what I think about the game, instead they find the performance testing far more valuable :).

Gpu using are what I want for sure

Thanks blimp01 and I think this would be the opinion of most TechSpot readers, at least I hope it is ;)

I see my trusty 5970 is no longer being included in the benchmarking process :( . Oh well, guess it had to go sometime. I haven't yet removed the fps cap but I can tell you that the game runs silky smooth with an i7 + 5970 combo. Not sure if SLI/Crossfire is functioning as it should, but I do see both of my GPUs running between 20-60% at all times.

Sorry mate it’s hard to include every card every time, I have to evaluate the performance as I go and work out which cards are best to test. Given the mid-range cards were killing it I thought there was no need to include the high-end dual GPU cards. So I focused more on including mid to low-end cards, it’s fair to say at any resolution using maximum in-game quality settings the Radeon HD 5970 is going to gently paddle through this game.

Good review Steve and thanks for adding in the Radeon 6850 :) . I personally was excited about getting this for some mindless shooter fun but with so many good games over the next few months and this game going for $60 bucks, I think I'll wait until it hits the $20 - $30 dollar range before picking it up.

Steve said:
Just removing the ridiculous fps cap makes a considerable difference on how the game feels. It's not uncommon for PC gamers to fine-tune games to suit their style and preferences, so why has the developer made doing so such a nightmare? They say it is to prevent cheating, we say they could have provided the tweakable settings for performance in a separate customizable configuration file to keep everyone happy.

I'm not surprised but still disappointed by these decisions. This will just continue to fuel the anger of PC gamers with having to deal with ports that are poorly done. And to blame it on cheating is such a farce. Is it so difficult to let PC gamers customize the game as they see fit without having to jump through endless hoops?

@lawfer, besides Steve's own opinion on why we don't review the games we test, and the fact that these performance reviews are very time consuming, our belief is that there are plenty of timely reviews out there already, so we focus on what you won't learn elsewhere.

Soon you will learn about a new section we are working on that will help you filtering out the bad games from the great ones, think of Metacritic but is a TechSpot/PC enthusiast spin to it :)

I got a copy of it yesterday after work and played it for a couple hours. I had a lot of fun with it :D. Some of the skillshots they want you to do are rather ridiculous and fun.

As far as performance I'm running it on a C2D E8400 @3.0ghz, 2gigs DDR2 Ram, and Nvidia 8800 1gig graphics card. It ran fairly well with the default settings (which it put to low on everything) but still looked ok at 1024x768. (I have a old CRT monitor...can't do higher rez). On my second screen I have a CPU usage monitor that I kept an eye on and it used 80-90% of the CPU resources the whole time, with a few spikes up to 100% where I got some frame lag, but that was mostly when it was loading something in the background, not really during high action scenes where you REALLY don't want any lag.

hey man with that card and those rez you can go alot higher on your settings ....texture ...world detail... ect without messing anything up....also ever thought about overclocking alil and pushing the fan on the card? does worlds for games... you have a nice rig... push it...30 fps solid on this game is great gameplay!

Back