Burning an image file to cd

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have one pc that I think has memory problems. To check, I downloaded memtest86. My stripped down Nero does not allow me to burn an image file to make it a bootable cd. It was suggested that I use image burn. I downloaded that but not I have no idea of how to proceed so that I end up with a bootable cd that will run the memtest software. Instructions would be greatly appreciated.

I installed the ISO recorder but something is missing. When I right click on the iso file, I can find copy but no copy to cd. What step did I miss. I tried doing a reinstall of the recorder (chose repair) but that didn't make any change.

The "copy" option will only copy your file to the clipboard, (let's you create an exact copy of your file on another location). Maybe you should try CDBurnerXP, it should work on XP and Vista. I haven't tried it myself, but they say it's the most popular FREE Nero alternative.
BTW, what version of Windows are you using?

I have one pc that I think has memory problems. To check, I downloaded memtest86. My stripped down Nero does not allow me to burn an image file to make it a bootable cd. It was suggested that I use image burn. I downloaded that but not I have no idea of how to proceed so that I end up with a bootable cd that will run the memtest software. Instructions would be greatly appreciated.

It's sort of foolish of me to argue with you about whether the version of Nero that you have would burn an image, but, Nero "Express" has an image function, so that it doesn't require you have "Nero Burning ROM" to do a simple image to CD burn. If your version doesn't show "disc image or saved project" on the "Nero Express" screen, I apologize for taking up your time. "Burning ROM" would only appear in a retail version, but it's not needed anyway.

"Image Burn", was written by "Lightning", the same person that wrote "DVD Decrypter". DVD decrypter would rip and burn in ISO mode, but only with a DVD blank, not CD. I'm not certain if "Image Burn" will handle CDs, but I sort of doubt it. "Image Burn" is pretty much DVD Decrypter, with the CSS cracker removed. (at Macrovision's insistence). I downloaded a really early version,and couldn't get it to work. To be fair, I had no need for it, and didn't really know what I needed it for, so it was a moot point.

In a program that has an image to CD function, it should specify burn image to disc. Any copy command is generally to be avoided, since you're not actually copying a file, you're recreating an actual CD in hard copy, as it were.

One thing that does confuse people is the concept of a "bootable CD". A program that will create a bootable CD, is different from a program that will burn an image file. The ISO image of "Memtest86" is already bootable, all it requires is to be burned as an image, it doesn't require a program to make it bootable! (Such as "Nero Burning ROM").

Anyhoo, download the Memtest file, unzip it, then open Nero "Express", choose "disc image or saved project", then burn your CD. Make sure though, Nero's "Start Smart" page is set to CD only.

I have to say kimsland, I'm impressed with all the new stuff Lightning has added to "ImgBurn". His penance perhaps.

For the record my Nero does not have disc image or saved project. When I installed Nero, I tried to keep it minimal, so that may have been the problem. I did get a working cd for memtest finally. I booted up with it and it ran and ran and ran as it is supposed to do. On the memtest screen there is a choice for escape to exit. For me that didn't work so I had to power off the pc to get out of the program. Is that just my pc or is there a quirk that I'm not aware of.

Well.......

I suppose if it made the 7 passes without error before you pulled the plug, does it really matter? If that's the case maybe we should look elsewhere for the problem.

I'm probably too lackadaisical but, I usually dismiss eccentricities as some things that probably don't exactly match the "template", but come out good enough for government work.

On the memtest screen there is a choice for escape to exit. For me that didn't work so I had to power off the pc to get out of the program. Is that just my pc or is there a quirk that I'm not aware of.
Well to me if the system becomes non-responsive during the memtest operation it points to a higher possibility the Ram is faulty

Memtest is not suppose to lock up a users computer, there is no "quirk" in the program

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back