Buying a good PC monitor

MrWackyPants

I want to buy a good screen, but don't know all the specs that define each technology. I have a particular size requirement, it doesn't need to be OLED. Just very good color and light and dark distinction. I want to be able to use it for eyesight testing apps I want to design. Also have it easily seen at very off center angles. What specs are there? I want to consider all of them.

Any suggestions? Also can I get a screen far better than my graphic card and get a better computer later or would a better screen hurt my computer?

From your description, the monitor absolutely needs to use an IPS panel. If people are going to be looking at it for a protracted period of time, as part of the eyesight test, then it should ideally be large (bigger than 24"), high resolution (1440p or more), and with a decent refresh rate (75 Hz or more).

This monitor fits all those criteria pretty well, and is reasonably priced too:

For color accuracy and photography:

BenQ 27" 2560x1440 QHD IPS Designer Monitor (PD2700Q), 100% Rec. 709 and sRGB, CAD/CAM, Animation, Darkroom, Low Blue Light, Flicker-Free , 60Hz refresh rate, Black

or...

ASUS ProArt Display PA278QV 27” WQHD (2560 x 1440) Monitor, 100% sRGB/Rec. 709 ΔE < 2, IPS, DisplayPort HDMI DVI-D Mini DP, Calman Verified, Eye Care, Anti-Glare, Tilt Pivot Swivel Height Adjustable

or...

ASUS ProArt Display PA278QV 27” WQHD (2560 x 1440) Monitor, 100% sRGB/Rec. 709 ΔE < 2, IPS, DisplayPort HDMI DVI-D Mini DP, Calman Verified, Eye Care, Anti-Glare, Tilt Pivot Swivel Height Adjustable
I have a dual setup with two of the ProArts, and can recommend them highly. The color accuracy and viewing angles are amazing.

I want to buy a good screen, but don't know all the specs that define each technology. I have a particular size requirement, it doesn't need to be OLED. Just very good color and light and dark distinction. I want to be able to use it for eyesight testing apps I want to design. Also have it easily seen at very off center angles. What specs are there? I want to consider all of them.
What’s your budget?

Back