Buzzing/sizzling sound coming from CPU or GPU? It's not the fan?

xcylent

so I was making a video in sony vegas pro a few minutes ago, and noticed a buzzing/sizzling noise coming from my computer, so I opened up the side panel to take a look.
I think it's either my GPU or my CPU, but the weird thing is it's not the fans because I stopped them with my finger and the buzzing continued.
also another MAJORLY weird thing is that the buzzing only occurs when the video is playing. when it's paused- nothing.
Ive also noticed this happening during gaming.
could you guys please inform me of what you think is happening? because I'm at a loss.
and yes, I'm sure the buzzing is coming from my GPU, CPU or Motherboard, and not my speakers.
please help me, I dont like the sound of this...
also sometimes, out of nowhere, the screen will like go red for a few seconds then just turn off, then it re-appears and a notification bubble pops up saying 'Display Driver stopped responding and has recovered. Kernel 260.99 has stopped working.'
what is going on???

specs:

Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 4
CPU: AMD FX-6100
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 550Ti

Does it sound like this?

Determine exactly where the noise is coming from. Its more likely to be your power supply than your gpu, and least likely to be your cpu.

nope, it sounds like a piece of paper thats been pushed lightly against a fan... sort of like a crackling buzz, not a hum.
and my PSU is a corsair HX-650 thats been in use before for a few weeks beforehand and never had any problems

Well if your pretty sure its coming from the gpu and you are having gpu driver crashes, I would probably do a RMA if your gpu is still under warranty.

A good clean out may also help if it is indeed a small piece of fluff hitting a fan or something.

Try stopping the fan by touching the CENTRE of the fan with your finger, dont touch the blades as they are likely to shatter in to a thousand pieces, done this to 2 graphics cards myself... see if the noise stops.

tbh I really don't wanna RMA. but I guess if I have to I will. would anybody else please possible contribute?

ok so I went and RMA'd the card. the counter guy at MSY was very friendly and made the process utterly painless, taking only a few seconds to confirm my warranty before handing over a shiny new GPU :)
everything is working fine now, no buzzing no nothing.

Back