California bill may restrict the sale of gas-guzzling lawnmowers and generators in 2024

Polycount

Staff
Forward-looking: California has made significant progress toward its climate goals in recent years, and it will likely continue to do so in the future. One way it hopes to achieve that is through a potential ban on the sale of gas-powered, off-road machinery, such as lawnmowers, generators, and more.

During the 2021 legislative season in California, assembly members Marc Berman and Lorena Gonzales introduced a bill that targets small off-road engines. As of October 9, state Governor Gavin Newsom signed off on that piece of legislature, among dozens of others.

The bill requires California's State Air Resources Board to adopt "cost-effective" and "technologically feasible" regulations to prevent emissions from new small off-road engines (SORE). According to the bill, the emissions output of these SORES can rapidly surpass the output of full-sized gas vehicles.

For example, the bill states that one hour of operating a "commercial leaf blower" (gas-powered) is roughly the same, in terms of air pollution, as driving 1,100 miles in a "new passenger vehicle." Given that there are far more SORES in California than full-sized vehicles, it's not difficult to see where the problem lies.

California's assembly members understand that switching production from gas to electric (or other) power sources could be a difficult and expensive process. To avoid putting an unnecessary burden on SORE makers, the state plans to set aside up to $30 million in commercial rebates to assist in the transition.

If this bill successfully takes effect, the deadline for enforcement will be January 1, 2024, or "as soon as the state board determines is feasible," whichever comes later. It remains to be seen precisely how the State Air Resources Board will interpret the language of AB-1346, and judging by that flexible deadline, it'll probably be quite a while before we find out.

We should also note that limiting the sale of new gas-powered SOREs is only the first part of the puzzle. By 2035, California hopes to reach "100 percent zero emissions" for the devices, which is a much more ambitious goal with, understandably, a much more forgiving deadline.

Image credit: Erik Mclean, Andres Siimon

Permalink to story.

Ah must have the classic English lawn - good thing it always rains in Southern California - Yes playing, sports grounds - golf courses there and say in Palm Springs - should use minimalist drought resistant grass designs .
It's not envy but when you see huge mansions with huge expanses of lawn - But you never see kids playing - or a group of adults playing some back/front yard baseball . It's purely for show .
Shows they have no fun or imagination - well least employs people

By the time CA finally slips into the ocean they'll be no one left in the state that you'd really miss. The lunatics running that asylum are happily insuring that the exodus only accelerates. Meanwhile, Texas just continues to smile as the capitol and tax revenue swings their way.

Can we just fire the entire state of CA into the sun already? This is getting out of control.
I'm not in CA, but my wife and I bought an Ego lawnmower about 2-years ago. My wife loves it, and I love it, too. Its very quiet. Ego makes a whole line of Electric yard equipment that is just as capable as gas powered lawn equipment, and there's no smell, besides being quieter than the equivalent gas powered :poop: https://egopowerplus.com/power-mowers/ I believe what the article says about an hour of running a gas-powered leaf blower pollutes as much as driving a new car 1,100 miles.

Maybe we can just fire the smelly, noisy, and unnecessary gas powered lawn equipment into the Sun.

I ditched by petrol mower and line trimmer a few years ago and you couldn't pay me to go back to the filthy and noisy machines. My electric mower is so quiet and I can get 45 minutes on a charge and shares same battery as my line trimmer.

Needs to be a world wide ban by 2025. All the major brands have battery options and even for professional mowers they have higher powered, larger models that are more rugged. No excuses.

Don't forget - that exodus may turn TX blue. 🤣🤣
You're giving it away man!

They still haven't caught on that the states showing the highest migration from the North (and CA.) are also the states that have been turning more and more blue for 10 years!

Do they really believe that the people changing their location are for some reason changing their political views\affiliation? :joy:

I ditched by petrol mower and line trimmer a few years ago and you couldn't pay me to go back to the filthy and noisy machines. My electric mower is so quiet and I can get 45 minutes on a charge and shares same battery as my line trimmer.

Needs to be a world wide ban by 2025. All the major brands have battery options and even for professional mowers they have higher powered, larger models that are more rugged. No excuses.
I have been using this for almost 3 years now:

Soon after I switched to this:

I am not going to say anything else but this. After 3 short years, when I hear a gas powered mower or chainsaw running, I liken it to hearing the engine in a Model A.

You're giving it away man!
Opps! :laughing:
They still haven't caught on that the states showing the highest migration from the North (and CA.) are also the states that have been turning more and more blue for 10 years!

Do they really believe that the people changing their location are for some reason changing their political views\affiliation? :joy:
Pretty soon, those states will be trying to pass laws that prevent democrats from voting. Oh wait...

I mean, if my east coast state wants to offer me a rebate to switching over I'd consider it, my equipment is pretty old and I wouldn't mind a pivot. Of course they've been rock solid reliable and extremely easily maintained over the last decade and a half for the oldest one, and considering how often(or really unoften) I use them, it better be quite an incentive.

I'm not in CA, but my wife and I bought an Ego lawnmower about 2-years ago. My wife loves it, and I love it, too. Its very quiet. Ego makes a whole line of Electric yard equipment that is just as capable as gas powered lawn equipment, and there's no smell, besides being quieter than the equivalent gas powered :poop: https://egopowerplus.com/power-mowers/ I believe what the article says about an hour of running a gas-powered leaf blower pollutes as much as driving a new car 1,100 miles.

Maybe we can just fire the smelly, noisy, and unnecessary gas powered lawn equipment into the Sun.
I bought an Ego lawn mower as well, and it’s great. The problem is with larger lawn equipment, the battery powered versions are much more expensive or have lower battery capacities. Fortunately the bill says the phaseout will happen based on feasibility so maybe larger lawn equipment will still be legal for some time (all are pretty much under the 2.5HP requirement from what I saw).

It seems like California wants to subsidize a bunch of lawn electric equipment to make this all possible. They might as well subsidize everything and charge you your entire income for taxes each year 😋 I’m glad I left Commiefornia, I don’t need the government making themselves the solution to everything.

Time for a bit of regression?
24Wqa.jpg

Time for a bit of regression?
24Wqa.jpg
I sure as hell remember those. My Dad made me cut the grass with a 16" reel style 5 blade push mower and a sickle for months before I was allowed to use the powered equipment. Part of his "appreciate what you have" program.

Really pissed me off, then I did the same with my own Son 15 years later. 🤣
And that really pissed him off. The circle of life.

Good news is now Ca. stores will need a gender neutral toy section . Didn't realise it was necessary - always had Unisex stuff like most consumer objects, toilets , roads , trees etc .
Straight up question - can you get extra large seats replacements for lawnmowers in The States?- or is it Unisized

'Gas guzzling' lawn mowers. Funniest description ever. Like my AAA battery guzzling 5 dollar wall clock.

I just had a bright idea - Dictate a minimum height for lawn, taller grass helps fight climate change

If sb from Cali policy makers reads this, watch it getting implemented.

Back