Call of Duty: Modern Warfare won't have a zombies mode

Shawn Knight

Staff member
A hot potato: I’ve never personally been a huge fan of zombies but the community as a whole has seemingly reacted positively to the game mode. It’ll be interesting to see how gamers respond to the mode being excluded from the 2019 Call of Duty entry. Will it elicit the same sort of feedback that last year's title got for not having a single-player campaign?

Infinity Ward is going full-on realistic with its Call of Duty: Modern Warfare reboot, and I’m not just talking about the graphical experience.

In an interview with PlayStation Lifestyle, Infinity Ward Design Director Jacob Minkoff revealed that Modern Warfare won’t have a zombies mode.

When asked about the unified narrative and progression across Modern Warfare games and how that differs from the Black Ops series, Minkoff said the latter is able to feature more “out there” types of gameplay because they focus on more of the stylized, graphic novel, superhero experience.

“But for us, we’re trying to create an authentic, realistic feeling world. We don’t have the flexibility to do something like put zombies in the game. That would compromise the feeling of playing in a world that feels realistic and authentic and relative to today’s conflicts and things we face,” Minkoff said.

Zombies were first introduced in the Treyarch-developed Call of Duty: World at War way back in 2008. Although zombies have appeared in a handful of CoD games since that time from Sledgehammer and Infinity Ward, they’ve primarily been favored by Treyarch.

Permalink to story.

Why should that be a problem? No one should have it anyways, it belongs to Treyarch. They invented that not the other devs. Activision just tried to milk it and mocked it up because the other devs have no clue how to do it. So no, no one should care. The original didn't have it, this reboot shouldn't either.

I hope they go old school all the way and also not have a battle royale mode. Many people will be pissed, but personally, if I want a BRG I`ll play a genuine BRG. I hope CoD and BF will come back to the roots of what made these games great and not be a hybrid cartoonish crap that tries to please everyone.

I hope they go old school all the way and also not have a battle royale mode. Many people will be pissed, but personally, if I want a BRG I`ll play a genuine BRG. I hope CoD and BF will come back to the roots of what made these games great and not be a hybrid cartoonish crap that tries to please everyone.

Have to agree with you!! Best one is still BF2

Why should that be a problem? No one should have it anyways, it belongs to Treyarch. They invented that not the other devs. Activision just tried to milk it and mocked it up because the other devs have no clue how to do it. So no, no one should care. The original didn't have it, this reboot shouldn't either.
Glad they're not doing zombies. Spec Ops is very underrated and I hate how they forced activation to copy Treyarchs zombies, when Treyarch does it much better and is more unique since they invented and innovated on it

I guess I'll be saving my $$$ then. Zombies are the ONLY reason I buy any COD game and I only play locally with friends who are in the room. We could care less about any of the online multiplayer run-and-gun fests with foul-mouthed snot-nosed kids.

Also, the zombie programmers have been F-ing sucky after COD BO2. You need binoculars to read any stats in the games anymore even though we all have larger and larger TVs, but their fonts are stupid tiny. And any programmer who thinks you shouldn't be able to PAUSE a LOCAL (or online) game (to go to the bathroom) is just an ***** of an excuse for a programmer (they finally added this to COD Black Ops 4 zombies but it took forever to finally get them to update it there, but all the older zombie games without this are never patched to fix this).

I'm a retired programmer and my favorite motto that I end up constantly uttering is:

"I HATE STUPID PROGRAMMERS!"

Also, the article states:
"“But for us, we’re trying to create an authentic, realistic feeling world. We don’t have the flexibility to do something like put zombies in the game. That would compromise the feeling of playing in a world that feels realistic and authentic and relative to today’s conflicts and things we face,” Minkoff said."

What's he really saying? He's saying he's hired STUPID PROGRAMMERS!!!
The Zombie games are NEVER meant to be realistic / authentic. They were totally separate from the campaigns / multiplayer team shootouts and aren't anything like them. They were just meant to be fun. COD isn't realistic either. You can't just go around shooting everyone you see in real life. It's just a game, not reality, so Minkoff's excuse is just that, an excuse!

(Sorry, every now and then people just need to vent about stupidity)

Zombies are so overdone. No wonder they're not making it, everyone's tired of that ****.

Not a reboot

I'm glad, never liked the zombies mode cause it was too convoluted.

now if they gave me a pure horde mode with no weirdness, just a group gunning down dudes until were overwhelmed then I'd be on that day1

Back