Call of Duty: WWII player achieved game's highest multiplayer rank without ever using...

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member

To say the path to the highest rank in Call of Duty: WWII is a slog is a bit of an understatement.

First, you have to reach level 55 in multiplayer mode. At that point, you will become Prestige ranked. Once in Prestige mode, you have to level up 55 more times to reach Prestige level 2. This process continues through Prestige level 10. After reaching P10 and leveling up 55 more times, you receive the game’s highest rank of Master Prestige (which itself has 1,000 levels).

It's no easy task to reach this rank but one player has not only done it but has gotten there without ever having fired a gun.

A player who goes by TheseKnivesOnly has documented his road to the top on his YouTube channel. Of his more than 32,000 kills, all have come either from the bayonet on his rifle or via a melee weapon or throwing knife. He is the only person in the world to have achieved this feat.

In fact, Sledgehammer Games was so impressed that it issued a shout-out from its official Twitter account congratulating him.

Playing a first-person shooter using only melee weapons sounds like pure insanity but this is how he has played all CoD titles dating back to 2010’s Black Ops. TheseKnivesOnly, who is also a member of professional gaming clan KARNAGE, told Kotaku that it was another player who got him interested in playing exclusively with knives.

“The main reason I was inspired to knife only was during a Search and Destroy match on WMD a random guy in the lobby hit a straight up tomahawk bomb defend,” he said in an email. The player had fended off attackers trying to plant a bomb at his base using only a tomahawk. “I thought it was the coolest thing ever and it sparked my interest for using knives.”

Even though he has reached the highest rank, it is not over for TheseKnivesOnly. There are still 1,000 levels of the master rank to conquer and he fully intends to do so.

Permalink to story.

Well .... I suppose that is some kind of accomplishment. Not quite like balancing the debt or establishing world peace ..... but still, an accomplishment .....

Think of what sort of meaningful activities he could have done instead of running with a knife in a shooter game. Looks like a huge waste of time to me... :(

Great job getting prestige ranks complete!! WOOT

Even though he has reached the highest rank, it is not over for TheseKnivesOnly. There are still 1,000 levels of the master rank to conquer and he fully intends to do so.

oh....

I take it back. Nevermind.... *rolls eyes*

I am waiting for the announcement "Never mind he cheated."

It's really not that hard to use melee weapons in these games. I thought the article was saying he's completed everything, when at the end it reveals he hasnt finished the 1,000 levels the final prestige has. Which.... would just take sooooo much freeeaaaking time. Otherwise it would be somewhat of an accomplishment. Reason nobody else hasnt done this? WHO REALLY CARES!? Play a game like how you want to and how you have fun, this is just how he has fun. I suppose the attention he's getting adds something of value to that, but how long does that last?

My friends and I used to do this all the time so it's not a super novel concept. We never had that level of dedication though. Killing with melee weapons in CoD games isn't as hard as one might think.

My friends and I used to do this all the time so it's not a super novel concept. We never had that level of dedication though. Killing with melee weapons in CoD games isn't as hard as one might think.

lol yea, this is just what I posted right before you basically. One of my favorites was in the original black ops with the ballistic knife, and hatchets with warlord pro and scavenger pro. Made for some fun nights... it's always fun to get that crazy long shot across the map. lol

What a complete and utter waste of time! Must be nice having 24/7 to do nothing except play video games, I guess.....not my idea of living life.

I am waiting for the announcement "Never mind he cheated."

It's really not that hard to use melee weapons in these games. I thought the article was saying he's completed everything, when at the end it reveals he hasnt finished the 1,000 levels the final prestige has. Which.... would just take sooooo much freeeaaaking time. Otherwise it would be somewhat of an accomplishment. Reason nobody else hasnt done this? WHO REALLY CARES!? Play a game like how you want to and how you have fun, this is just how he has fun. I suppose the attention he's getting adds something of value to that, but how long does that last?
How long does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop? Ahhh...1 Ahhh...2

The one knife kill is pretty fun while playing... But in my day having to knife someone twice to get a kill (CounterStrike) now that was an accomplishment, especially if you killed half the team. Ahh the memories! LoL.

The one knife kill is pretty fun while playing... But in my day having to knife someone twice to get a kill (CounterStrike) now that was an accomplishment, especially if you killed half the team. Ahh the memories! LoL.
Agreed. Kind of funny in these newer games you can get shot multiple times but die instantly from a knife wound. lol

Back