Call the Darwin Award Committee: People are now eating Borax for attention

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
WTF?! Remember back in 2018 when people were posting TikTok (and YouTube) videos of themselves eating Tide Pods? What about the Kiki challenge of the same year when people would exit their moving car and dance alongside the still-rolling vehicle to Drake's "In My Feelings?" Well, here we go again.

The latest idiotic fad to hit the internet is ingesting Borax. Borax is a cleaning agent introduced 132 years ago. It is primarily used as a laundry detergent booster but was also an active ingredient in cheap powdered hand soap before being discontinued. Now it seems that Borax is not only suitable for cleaning your clothes and hands. It's great for cleaning out your body as well. And here I thought the Tide Pod challenge taught everybody that eating laundry detergent wasn't good for you.

Here is what Ken Ober had to say after reading this article touting all the benefits of eating Borax:

Despite the packaging clearly stating not to eat the product, people are ingesting it with their food or drinking it in smoothies. Worse yet, instead of keeping their dangerous practice to themselves, they are flooding TikTok with videos touting the supposed benefits of eating Borax. They claim that it can reduce inflammation and relieve rheumatoid arthritis pain. It can also supposedly "detoxify" the body and prevent cancer.

These silly notions are based on a few studies claiming that the periodic element boron has health benefits. So since boron is in Borax, it must be good for you, right? These people fail to note and understand that the boron that might be good for you comes in trace amounts in natural foods like fruits, peanuts, legumes, potatoes, and milk. And that is assuming that the studies are of any scientific value.

So far, the FDA has never recognized boron as an essential nutrient, and no peer-reviewed studies have confirmed that the element has health benefits of any kind. On the contrary, actual science has concluded that Borax (as opposed to the element boron) is toxic. Ingesting it in even small amounts over short periods can lead to nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Long-term exposure can cause seizures and anemia.

Regardless of whether Borax can have health benefits or not, please don't eat anything out of a box that says "DO NOT EAT." It's just good advice. Don't go jumping on the 20-Mule Borax train. At the very least, get the homeopathic version some nutrition stores sell. At least, that was manufactured with human consumption in mind, but if you have ill effects, don't say we didn't warn you.

Permalink to story.

No plz... let them do it... a win for us with at least half a brain
The only problem is that adults who should know better are doing it to their kids (and sometimes babies), who don't have a say in the matter.

Still, just think of it as evolution in action.

sand.png

Thank goodness for that, no confirmation needed, don't need to ask how stupid they are that think the BBT is remotely possible

While I'm all for getting rid of as many stupid people as possible I think this is a golden example where the Congress needs to hold the big tech companies directly responsible for allowing this kind of junk on the net. It has nothing to do with freedom of speech and everything to do with corporate responsibility and liability .....

And governments are banning TikTok??

They shouldn't. TikTok provides a great public service to weed out stupid humanoids and those who don't deserve to live!!

Ingesting borax to help one health ailment while creating another health problem, brilliant. Isn't borax also a pest control poison? Anyone posting such stupidity on social media should be held responsible if someone gets seriously ill or dies. Seems that TikTok causes people to defy all logic reasoning.

Ingesting borax to help one health ailment while creating another health problem, brilliant. Isn't borax also a pest control poison? Anyone posting such stupidity on social media should be held responsible if someone gets seriously ill or dies. Seems that TikTok causes people to defy all logic reasoning.
Frankly, IMO, the person who gets ill or dies from such acts is responsible for their own foolishness. It doesn't matter to me who gave them the idea. People should be accountable for their own actions.

Ingesting borax to help one health ailment while creating another health problem, brilliant. Isn't borax also a pest control poison?
Yes, it is. From my experience using it on Carpenter Ants, the Carpenter Ants quickly learn to stay away from it. In this case, I think the Carpenter Ants are far more intelligent than the humans ingesting it. 🤣
Anyone posting such stupidity on social media should be held responsible if someone gets seriously ill or dies. Seems that TikTok causes people to defy all logic reasoning.
Frankly, IMO, the person who gets ill or dies from such acts is responsible for their own foolishness. It doesn't matter to me who gave them the idea. People should be accountable for their own actions.
IMO, that's a hard call to make. In situations where a company is making false claims to sell their product, there are laws against that. https://law.stackexchange.com/questions/19764/when-is-making-and-selling-snake-oil-illegal
However, these claims are made by individuals who are not selling anything.

Though societal norms these days tend to dissuade people from saying things like this, there are people out there that are unable to, for various reasons, discern things like what is harmful to them and what is not. They need to be told/guided/hand held.

Joke about it all we want and make all the faceplaming about it that we want, this kind of thing happens repeatedly, and if it were not for social media, it would never gain any traction.

Yes, I agree. People need to take responsibility for their own actions, however, in our day and age where something posted to a social media site is instantly transmitted nearly everywhere on the planet, I think that there is a need for some sort of mechanism that prevents the spread of arguably dangerous trends. Just like its is not considered a 1st Amendment right in the US, due to SCOTUS cases, to publicly incite violence, I think there is a similarity here in that without social media, these claims would die and go nowhere.

I read about things like this from time to time and can't help wondering just how many people are out there with so little intelligence. The only explanation is that they are all waiting for someone to write an App called Common Sense. Some ***** jumping off a roof with a space hopper between his legs on YooToob ceases to be funny when you realise the number of nitwits that will go straight out and try it themselves.

We put out a bit of borax for ants to carry back to where they live. It kills ants.

Back