Can a novice replace a hard drive in a Compaq Presario?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend has a presario and the model is not really clear. 2300 he believes. Another guy has it and is trying to buy it off of him for only 250 so i told him that that would be senseless lets just get the hard drive replaced and i told him that i could do it. is there any certain ways that the company has made the replacement difficult? So that it must be done by them? I was told that Toshiba and Sony have made it so that there was some chord that could easily be torn if it was not done in a certain way. Aditionally how specific of a hard drive do i need to find, must it be model specific? and also, how hard is it to upgrade the RAM. If you are doing one you mind as well do the other right. I know this sounds like alot but i just really want to help him out. thanks hope to get a repy soon

It would be easier to help with the exact model number. The Compaqs Ive worked on werent too hard. With the onder ones the case lifts off the frame. And with Compaqs you have to get a file from Compaq and add it to the new hard drive or the Restore Disks wont work. Replacing the RAM is easy. Just make sure you know what kind it has- SDRAM or DDR RAM.

I recenlty had to replace a hard drive on a Compaq, but make sure you have the install disks before you you buy anything. They put an image of the operation system on the hard drive but if the drive is dead you can't get to it. So if go and buy a new 80G hard drive at the store for $95 and install it, you'll find that you don't have an operating system to put on that hard drive. You can always buy the Compaq startup disks from Compaq if they didn't originally come with the system. One price I got was a little less than $25 to buy them which includes shipping, but it takes a week to get there if it's even in stock. If this is the case then you've already spent about $120 just getting this PC to boot so that cuts your profit almost in half. But if you go through with it I would get the exact same size hard drive that came with the system. If you got a smaller one the startup image disks might not install on it. I would also look on Newegg.com for better hard drive prices. Stores like Best Buy are not a best buy.

New Hard Drive Troubles, PLEASE READ

I just bought a replacement hard drive for my compaq preserio r3000. I put in the new h.d. and started to install windows. I keep getting an error that says " no hard drive found" I have checked three times to make sure that it is in correct. I checked the bios page, and it says no hd listed. ANY IDEAS??? PLEASE HELP

Hi sd,
are you sure that the power connector you are using is live? can you feel the hard drive spin up when you power up? you should be able to feel some vibration as it powers on. if you cant, try a different power connector.

i can feel it spinning....do you think i have to have the original cd or something to make this work? when i look at the bios hdd test, there is nothing. I thought i was missing bios drivers or something.

is it just not seeing the HDD, or is it seeing unallocated space? you said you started to install windows, you know that you have to partition/format the drive before you can install windows right?

Do What?

I pull old hdd out, put new one in.
Then what?

What i did was put new one in and start computer.

I guess I missed something. Everyone is saying that I have to have some disk from compaq? True?? help!, thanks

put the windows install disc in the drive
shut down the computer and restart
the install disc should ask you where you want to install and show you a list of disc space on your computer
the new disc should be on the list as 'unallocated disc space'
there will be an option to format the disc, you need to do this to be able to install the windows.
most people just make the entire disc one big partition, unless you have a specific reason to format muliple partitions.
you need to tell windows then where you want windows to be installed, choose the newly formatted disc partition you just created (probably C: drive)
you can proceed with install of windows.

ok, i did everything you said.
when the pc starts, it loads the windows xp disk.
then says welcome: enter to continue, R for repair, f3 to quit
i hit enter (contnue)
i get "set up sis not fing and hard disk drives installed in your computer" error.
---i know the hdd is in right. what am i missing?

Hmmmm. enter the bios, im not sure how its listed in your bios, but there should be a 'detect HDD' next to where all the ata sata drive ports are, see if it finds the drive. this is a brand new drive right? nothing on it and you have not formatted even correct?

Compaq HDD Replacement

I am also trying to replace my HDD in my Compaq Notebook. I get the same notice saying Windows cannot find any HDD installed on my computer. I put the old HDD back in, and tried to format the drive. Is says it cannot find a HDD for format. I tried installing windows over this, and it says it can't find an HDD installed. I have been told that Compaq is bad about putting "blinder" codes in the BIOS to hide the HDD from being overwritten. Is this true? I contacted Compaq, but of course my warranty is out, so they wanted to charge me an arm and a leg to help me. Is there a fix for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back