can i have a win 2000 slave on 98se os?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you mean by slave? Do you mean adding a second Hard drive to a Win98se PC and installing Win2K on it, whilst still being able to access your Win98se drive and it's data?

Then yes. In fact the process of installing Win2K after Win98 causes an automatic dual-boot setup to occur. You can then choose, every time you boot, which OS to use.

In terms of accessing each drive from the other, remember Win2K will, unless otherwise instructed, install an NTFS data system which cannot be accessed from Win98, although the reverse is not true.

The default installation might also make each drive invisible to the other, but this is easily remedied.

If you go ahead, ALWAYS make a full backup before installing the new OS, just in case.

ya i have a HD with some files that i want to copy before i format it it running windows 2000, it has a password that i can not remember so i can not access them, but i have a running CPU with 98se and trying to access the file by hookin it up as a slave to get the files off

password protected files are protected...

This is looking completely different. You actually want to access files on a Win2K encrypted drive from Win98se ?

See previous answer - you can't access if it is NTSF, and it is likely to be NTSF if it is encrypted.

There are procedures available to allow a boot disk USB/floppy to load drivers to read NTFS drives (usually only read-only), so you can simply add the second drive and view/copy from it.

The question of is the drive password protected or actually encrypted is your main problem.

Actually the default Win2K Install FS is FAT32, you have to choose NTFS and if the installer detects a previous Windows install it gives you the option of keeping the existing file system intact or changing to NTFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back