Can I have DirectX 9 and 10 on Windows Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.

batigoal

is it possible to have both the directX9 and 10 installed on the windows Vista? since directX10 is not backward compatible, i would need a directX9 to play games based on tat driver.

DirectX is always backwards compatible with prior versions, so having DX10 also means you have full DX9.0, 8.0 and 7.0 as well.

You do not need (nor want) to install DX9.0 on a DX10 system as this is already present.

As Zenosincks' links inform Vista does not run previous versions of DX it infact emulates them.

So you will need to install DX9 and when required Vista will emulate it.

Nexevo said:
As Zenosincks' links inform Vista does not run previous versions of DX it infact emulates them.
It comes out of the box with this.

So you will need to install DX9 and when required Vista will emulate it.
No you do not. Vista ships with this as part of DX10.

If you take a factory install of full-release Vista and perform a direct3d CAPS list, you will see all supported extensions and functionality of DX9, 8 and 7 available.

The articles posted above- most of which are obsolete, old and pre-release information that is no longer applicable... i.e. "urban myth" much like you can dig up 100's of articles that explain Vista is written totally and for .NET (lol). Same nonsense.

DX10 *is* backwards compatible with DX9.0 (and earlier) with few exceptions, such as HW accelerated DirectSound/DSound3D (no HW sound HAL exists in Vista). The reverse is not true as DX9.0 will not be forwards/upwards compatible (which at least one of those articles linked is confused and doesn't even understand what upwards compatibility is lol) as DX10 is currently a Vista exclusive.

And of COURSE it does this through wrappers of native calls (DX10 calls).. duh.. it would be retarded to make native functions for prior DX levels when the higher revisions supercede/exceed the prior support/limits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back