Can I use 2 diff internal IP's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samstoned

I posted a layout of my network
and would like to add a feature to one of the workstations
is it possiable to use 2 diff internal ip address's and have a layer 3 switch get through the lan to wan
Look at this my help to explain
My network

Oh jeez...Networking is my weakness but I want to see if I can help. I know that each computer gets assigned different internal IP addresses based off of the network hub/router's ip address. I'm not familiar with L3 switches but unless that has its own seperate internal IP address, I don't think you can assign the computers hooked up to it using a different internal IP address as the one assigned from the router...oh wait, I see what you mean. Most likely you can't do that. Each computer uses only two/one specific IP addresses (one from the router and one from the WAN connection). Not sure HOW it uses both, most likely it assigns the IP addresse with multiple router IP addresses so more than one computer can use that internet connection...

Now...PLEASE tell me what I just said lol. If it doesn't make sense please don't question me. I left the part before the "...oh wait" because I didn't know what to take out lol. But most likely my answer is no.

never tested this since im a 1 IP network, but if you go to

[network connections>LAN (right click)>properties>internet protocols (TCP/IP)>properties>advanced]

under IP settings/IP Addresses you can add/remove/edit IP addresses.. maybe just as simple as adding it there?

To give 172.x.x.x machines internet access you can either:
set up ICS on the 192.168.1.100 machine
put all your machines in the 192.168.1.0 network
give all the 172.x machines a secondary IP from the 192.x network and adjust the routing tables/gateways so that they would route only through the VPN router.

I have been to that site not sure if cisco protocals are going to work with this switch

I know it can be done something about forwarding ,bridging in the router switch
it is a 550TR from intel
I think it may be in the subnet mask
I will look more closely at the server book some of this gets pretty complicated
and the worst is I have to now add another machine on the 192 side and be able to share with the 172 side
OOch!!!!
try to solve one and they throw another at me
Its back to school

Samstoned said:
I have been to that site not sure if cisco protocals are going to work with this switch
As many readers will not be familiar with Layer 2 vs Layer 3 concepts,
the reference was intended to be more conceptual and informative rather
than an attempt to provide a specific solution.

Can't fix it with netmask.. 192 and 172 networks are the same only at the highest bit - your netmask would be 128.0.0.0 and using this would effectively cut off half the internet too :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back