can someone help me find a cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfleader

i need a cable that has a standard IDE pin set and the power pins on one side and a USB cable on the other so i can access data that's on an old hard drive to put on my laptop

Better to put the old hard drive into a newer computer as a slave, then drag and drop the data, or use one of the Windows files transfer software devices.
You risk too much by doing what you describe.

Raybay: How would he put a hard drive in his laptop as a slave?

Wolfleader: There is no such cable. How on earth do you think the 40 IDE wires would become the 4 that are in USB? Not to mention that even 10 USB ports wouldn't have enough power to spin a monster IDE drive..

What you want is a USB IDE hard drive enclosure that comes with its own power supply and a special chip inside that can do the IDE-USB conversion.

i know it exists

i know it exists because they have them at www.cyberguys.com but the problem is that i have a choice between either a 12.99 cable that is out of stock or a 60 dollar cable, at this time i can't afford one so i figured i'd ask if anyone knew where i could find one cheap...the cable i'm looking for does not go into the system directly it goes to the USB slot like a flash drive

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=17705-DT&cpc=SCH has the adapter for putting a laptop hard drive into a desktop as a slave. They were in stock five minutes ago. They are also sold at Frys Outpost, and many other sites. Search for laptop hard drive adapter.
Alternately, use a flash drive in the laptop. If it does not have USB ports, use a pcmcia card with USB ports.

It's still not a cable.. Even if they have hidden the chip in the plug. And they don't show you the AC adapter in the pictures.. Prolly to make the thing look less bulky and more appealing :p

I dont think he wanted to put a laptop harddrive into a PC, I think he wanted to move data from the harddrive of a PC to his laptop.

I think THIS is what you are looking for and it is a resonable price.

If you dont want this exact one, there are others that you could find HERE at Newegg. Just look through the products... there are a couple of pages.

sorry for the confusion

sorry about all the trouble guys but i got the set i needed through staples thank you though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back