Can the SIM be used with our computer (laptop/desktop) just as we are using it with a mobile?

Navin Talati

Friends,
I request to guide, advise, and help regarding the linking of a SIM card with a laptop and a desktop.
As we all know that we can insert a SIM into the mobile and get connected to a person by dialing the contact number. My questions are:
1. Can we do the same thing through our laptop or a desktop?
2. Is any laptop or desktop comes with a SIM port just like it is available in a mobile?
3. Is there any USB type dongle/adapter available in which we can insert the SIM, and connect it via usb port and directly dial a contact number through our machine (laptop or desktop)
4. Is there any way that we can use the SIM with our computer (laptop/desktop) just as we are using it with a mobile? (- so that we can dial or receive any phone just as we are doing by a mobile)
Needs your guidance.
regards.
Navinj Talati / 05-08-2021

You are referring to a technology called WWAN. Some upper end laptops already have the add in module to accept your SIM card. This add in module is pricey since you are effectively adding a cellphone to your laptop. I have seen this used to get mobile data on the go but not to make phone calls with. Maybe it works to make phone calls too?

Some discussion on it here:

Most likely the SIM card from your mobile device will not work. You will need to contact your carrier and they can give you a plan with a new SIM card that is for DATA only. That will be the one that will give you roaming access.

Back