Cannot email anyone after installing Norton Internet Security 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi: Everything on my computer worked fine and I was using Mcaffee as my security. Then I decided to use Norton 2005. After I installed Norton 2005 I opened up Outlook Express 6 and found that I couldn`t email anyone. It is very important that I be able to email people! I can still receive email but I can`t send any out.
I have tried everything that the Norton Knowledge Base suggested and nothing has worked.
Here`s the run down.
When my email opens up a dialogue box opens up that says " Symantec Email Proxy ", An encrypted email connection has been detected. Please see help for more information on how to transmit encrypted email. Click here to go to Symantec Technical Support Knowledge Base."
When I close this box another large box opens up that says " Unable to establish a SSL connection with the server. Account `pophm.sympatico.ca` Server:`smtphm.sympatico.ca, Protocol:SMTP,server response: `454 TLS not available due to temporary reason; Port 25, Secure (SSL): Yes, Server Error: 454 Error number 0x800CCC7F".
As I said I`ve tried everything.
I opened up Norton Security, clicked on Norton Antivirus, clicked on Options, clicked on Norton Antivirus again, Norton Antivirus Options opens up, first I clicked on email and `unchecked scan outgoing email` like the knowledge base said to do and it still wouldn`t work. I tried unchecking both scan incoming and scan outgoing and still no luck. I have tried every variation in the index and the knowledge base, the help section and everywhere else.
Can anyone PLEASE HELP ME !
Thanks for your time, Steav1.

Try disabling Norton's firewall. It causes 99% of the problems I have with email. If disabling works, then you'll have to program it to recognize in/outgoing mail from your mail server. Norton is a real pain in the neck. The most recent update blocked many of the programs I use all the time, including its own virus scanning function! In order to use Word, Excel, outlook Express and Norton's antivirus, I have to disable Norton's firewall. I'm uninstalling it ASAP and trying something else.

from most problematic customers we recieve with laptops the majority with severe problems are running norton suites, they are nearly impossible to remove at times aswell, hence norton/symantec themselves have issued a removal tool as clearly their own uninstaller doesnt do the job :suspiciou

Thanks for the confirmation that it's not me but indeed it's Norton. LOL Norton's newest update requires me to run its firewall at the lowest setting or not at all, and I have used its scanning device which is suppose to detect all programs that have been approved by me. I switched to Norton this past summer from Computer Associates (CA) E-Z Trust virus software because CA was causing similar problems and in the past, I've always found Norton user friendly, whereas I couldn't say the same for CA. When is the computer industry (hey, Bill Gates, I'm talking to you) going to do something to STOP making the onus of protection fall on users, many of whom don't more about a computer than how to turn it on.

if you insist on using norton firewall, you'll need to open a port manually for your email. Switch to zonealarm, it's better, easier to configure and more compatible with stuff.

Still can`t email anyone.

Hi: Well it`s still not working and as I`m not very computer literate I`ll have to try something else. I don`t know anything about Ports or even how or where I would start. Thanks for everone`s help. Maybe I`ll try this Zone Alarm. Thanks again and have a good Christmas. Steve.

uninstall and remove norton firewall. (keep the antivirus) and install zonealarm firewall

steav1 said:
Hi: Well it`s still not working and as I`m not very computer literate I`ll have to try something else. I don`t know anything about Ports or even how or where I would start. Thanks for everone`s help. Maybe I`ll try this Zone Alarm. Thanks again and have a good Christmas. Steve.
add a pair of rules
allow outbound any computer tcp port 25 all locations name-it=smtp-email
allow outbound any computer tcp port 110,143 all locations name-it=pop-imap-email​
if you're paranoid, add logging

Norton Internet Security 2005 No More!...

... at least on my computer. Yesterday I had a major disaster with my computer. I still don't know if Norton had anything to do with it or Ad-Aware, which was also acting weird. I had to use the recovery CDs, which thankfully worked. A few programs, though, would not work after recovery, one of which was Norton. I decided it was a very good time to give Norton the boot, and I am now using ZoneAlarm's Internet Security Suite. It's very user friendly and so far it has not caused any problems with email or accessing the Internet. Also, kudos to ZoneAlarm for the positive response to my email inquiry about getting a refund for something I purchased from them (downloaded off its site) that I didn't need. They immediately emailed me a form to fill in, the fax number/snail mail address to send it, and assured me I would receive the credit in 7 to 10 business days. This is service I never had with Norton.

I had the same problem

I found after a few hours of playing with the settings that you just have to turn off the internet security feature as well as turn off the email scanning features. Then you can send emails.

You can then turn the internet security and the firewall back on after to protect your system.

It is not much of a pain to do this whenever you send or reply to an email. The only other option if you are a Sympatico customer in Canada is to buy their firewall and anti virus protection software. Nortons cannot be set to send encrypted emails, a definite shortcoming in the program.

Hope this helps

check the date.. its a bit old.. but don't stress :)

Anyways, i believe the newest Norton series available is the 2007 version.. The real answer in this thread would've been "uninstall, snap the CD in half or return it for refund, then get yourself some decent AV+firewall protection"

Norton is one of those things that its great if it works (yes, even i still recomend it to some people, who i can estimate how small the risk of norton going topside) but its definately not for everyone...

ocanman said:
I found after a few hours of playing with the settings that you just have to turn off the internet security feature as well as turn off the email scanning features. Then you can send emails.

You can then turn the internet security and the firewall back on after to protect your system.
humbug.
I've discontinued NIS so I can't get back to the precise settings, but:
1) disable outbound scanning (hey, it's your data and you wouldn't stuff a friend would you?)
2) enable outbound any ip ports 25,110,143 for tcp and
in/out port 53 for udp

Nortons cannot be set to send encrypted emails, a definite shortcoming in the program.
[/QUOTE]
No firewall sends encrypted email, that's a function of your email client
and there's no special port used to do that anyway.

" Unable to establish a SSL connection with the server. Account `pophm.sympatico.ca` Server:`smtphm.sympatico.ca, Protocol:SMTP,server response: `454 TLS not available due to temporary reason; Port 25, Secure (SSL): Yes, Server Error: 454 Error number 0x800CCC7F".
the message tell's you exactly why it failed; port 25 can not be accessed

I don't understand all the problems that people are having with Norton products. I've been using them since I switched from Black Ice back in 1999-2000, and the only problem I ever had (which was my fault and not the software) was accidentally installing Norton Go Back. That one conflicted with Windows, specifically during the boot process.
Don't misunderstand me, I'm not trying to sell their products, but I've never really had a problem. Most people I've heard that have had problems with Norton never listed their specs.
Are these Intel or AMD cpu's?? Maybe it's due to other installed software??

sghiznaneck said:
Don't misunderstand me, I'm not trying to sell their products, but I've never really had a problem. Most people I've heard that have had problems with Norton never listed their specs. software??
two major reasons for failures; never reading the manual and a ton of software that is questionable.

I too found NIS to be just fine, but then I've been doing this stuff for 3 decades now.

NIS had a feature to scan for Internet Capable programs and to allow the user
to allow/deny each. I suspect they never try it and ran impatiently into never-never land.
PURE conjecture and no disrespect meant here; it's just human nature.

my discontent comes from the perpetual problems in the myriads of updates
and Norton dumping on itself so badly, it had to be reinstalled -- sure sign of poor quality, imo.

One of the first things I learned with Norton Internet Security was to let it auto configure my internet, programs, etc and ensured it would allow all my networked computers access automatically. At least then it wasn't always in the "learning" state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back