cannot find any hard disk

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had an HP Pavilion dv9000t with window vista, and I tried to add window 2000 on it as a dual boot machine. After I did all the disk management, and download all the driver for window 2000, I did a reboot using window 2000 CD trying to install 2000 on drive E:. In the process of installation, it says it cannot find any hard disk. My guess is due to the SATA hard drive, but cannot figure out a way to solve the problem.

Just wonder if anyone has the same problem.

I talked with HP and they suggest to me to change the BIOS setting and to disable the SATA native support, and then I was able to see the drive. However, all the three NTFS partitions on the drive are listed as unformatted or bad file systems. Further, only the first partition has a drive letter C: and the two other partitions with drive letter D: and E: in window vista are not showed.

Further more, when I continued and selected the third partition for the window 2000 operating system, it asked to reformat the C: drive, and I was not sure if the operating system will reformatted the whole disk drive with three partitions on it or just the third partition which I selected for installation.

Need help!

VISTA is known to have issues with SATA drivers.... I can't imagine why anyone would install two OSes on a system unless one is linux and the other is windows. I know people do it, but I can forsee problems like this.

Format a SATA with window 2000

Based on what HP's suggestion, it seems to me the first part of problem has been solve i.e., the window 2000 installation can see the drive with three partition.

Right now, when window 2000 wants to reformat the drive and just don't know what will happen next unless I try it out myself and I just don't know if window 2000 is capable to format the SATA drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back