Cannot find printer over VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Folks!

I am trying to install a printer over a vpn. We use a vpn to remote connect to a server (win2k server)at our main office on IP 192.168.1.1. This server runs a database that we need to be able to print from to a local printer on IP 10.0.0.150.

I had trouble getting the local machines (xp pro) to find the printer (HP 4014n) and had to install the HP network printer wizard onto each machine to get them to find it.

I can ping the printer from the local network (10.0.0.x) and i can remote onto the server and ping the computers on (10.0.0.x) however when i try to ping the printer on 10.0.0.150 it times out. I have tried running the Hp network wizard on the server but it does not find anything on 10.0.0.150.

Will the subnet mask on the printer affect this or will it see the trafic from 192.168.1.x as local because it comes over the vpn?

We currently print to an old printer that is shared via a local machine on drect connect cable however this requires the user to be logged in to share.

I have looked at writing an lmhosts file but there does not appear to be one at present and im a little dubious to create one as the vpn appears to be working fine apart from this single issue.

If anyone has any ideas that would help resolve this your help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Kimsland,

Thanks for the reply!

I tried the link and unfortunately it was unable to find any printers even on the local network!

do u know if there is there a setting i need to enable to get the printer to broadcast its ip ?

Ah huh

DHCP enabled

By the way you are installing local printer
Then selecting TCP\IP port
Then putting in the IP
I hope ;)

resources on the VPN network can not access local LAN network resources nor can the converse work either.
this is a security issue for the VPN.

A local printer (at your end) should be accessible (it is not a LAN resource :) ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back