Cannot run ANY program altho admin

Status
Not open for further replies.

dougham

Windows XP SP2 PC.
Although user is a computer administrator, it cannot execute ANY program. I have run adaware, spybot and spyware terminator and found no spyware. Logged in as administrator in safe mode. Checked that I could run programs then reverted to 10 days ago with System Restore. Reboot and user worked OK. After reboot - back to same error. Cannot run .exe - message says no permission. Can see .exe through windows explorer. Have run hijackthis - no problems. Can see nothing wrong in services and startup, but there is obviously something running at shutdown or startup.

Hum.. How can you run all those adware scanners, when you cannot run any programs?

Have you by accident switched on DEP for all programs?
Go to Control Panel > System > Advanced > Data Execution Prevention and select the top option only.

Ubcd4win

I build a UBCD4WIN CD regularly. This boots to WinXP SP2 with lots of free programs, including Adaware, Spybot etc. But as I said in my post, logged in as Admin in safe mode I did a System Restore. then rebooted and all OK. I then re-ran Adaware Spybot etc. However after a reboot the problem re-occurred. Therefore the malware is still resident. I just don't know what to look for as I've exhausted my Malware resources.

If DEP is not blocking your .exe files, perhaps one of the anti-spyware programs is? In my book you need one of each antu-virus, anti-spyware and firewall. Any more and there is a real danger of conflict. Try stopping a few - if in doubt disconnect from the net and stop them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back