Can't Access my SHARED files...???

Status
Not open for further replies.

whtddusy516

So awhile back I transfered all of my music over to the All Users Documents (my sister and I had some battles, since we cannot share our music through each others so i put it in aplace i could get from any account on the computer).

And then, about a month ago we had this retarted issue with XP and we couldnt boot (it was getting stuck on some system file) so i used the repair cd that came with the computer and it started up...now i dont think ive attempted to access those files since then but recenetly I can't access ANY files from the My Documents folder on All Users. And on a 40gb HD 25Gb of music is not something you want to not be able to access.

It sounds like an oxymoron to me...and none of the desktops can access it....argggg

any suggestions would be great

AJ

Exactly what happens when you try to access Shared Documents? Do you get an access denied, or what other error message?

I get an access denied message, i get the same message when getting something from my sisters since we both had passwords at one point, so now we cant share...but i didnt think you could turn off a shared files folder from being shared lol

nvm, but thanks for the help

i eventually just went into admin and changed all the properties for it, no users were set to access the fiels so that was the problem

hmmm, this is strange

So i guess the way I did it was incorrect, but wheni looked at Microsofts page it says exactly what i did. Before I couldnt even look into the folder, now i can look at all the contents of it. BUT it still wont let me use ANYTHING in it :dead:

What did I miss?

Depends on what the permissions are.

Taking ownership might not be enough, for example:

sviperm1kc7.png

sviperm2ng7.png

I have ownership, but no permissions to that particular directory. The user ID with the question mark is from another Windows installation.

And "Deny" permissions take over "Allow".

ohh ill have to go back and check, but i dont remember anything being check deny, the only box not checked was Special Permissions i think, the last one.

ok, im about to go insane lol

so I went back in, and made sure each User had Full Control, all the boxes were checked, I go in to play a song and I get the same error message saying that access is denied. But I can move the files out now.

I'm begining to pull my hair.

Anny replies are greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back