Can't get a PC to talk to a wireless network

Status
Not open for further replies.

non.basic

hey,
did a search but couldn't find anything.
I'm trying to add a bit of wireless to a network but it isn't working out. Got a Belkin access point (F5D7130uk) and a wirless pci card (F5D7001uk) and plugged them in...
The AP doent seem to support DHCP but so far I've got it to talk to the rest of the network by setting up a static IP with the existing router.
Now the client sees the network and seems to connect to it but i cant get an IP address back and even if I set one up it still doesn't get any packets from the network!
Please help, I've got myself int a muddle and I'm getting chest pains :( :(

Turn of any encryption on the AP until you get it working.

Set the channel used by the AP manually to 6 or 11. If possible, set the channel manually on the client side too.

Disable any proprietary wireless "acceleration" technologies on the AP.

Make sure you haven't left anything unconfigured on the AP. It may be that the AP comes with a very strict security out of the box and you have to manaully set up everything.

Disable any software firewalls on the client. Including the gay Windows Firewall. Make sure you have the wireless services enabled in Windows if you are not using some special software to connect.

Thanks but its still not working.
I think the problem is that the routers not forwarding packets past the access point. Im lost!

A router cannot forward packets across another device it can only send them to another device.

Another thing I can suggest is updating the firmware of the AP which is a must for pretty much every wireless device.

Also, you can try going over the manual and make sure you haven't missed anything.

You should have: no WPA or WEP enabled. Set the channel to be used to 6. Set the SSID and let it be broadcast. No MAC based filtering. Reboot after making the configuration changes.

On the client side select the channel manually if you can. Set the IP address to be the same you would have in case of a wired connection to the router. Disable any security software. Disable any other network interfaces. Reboot.

AP - Access Point. Its a wireless device that basically extends your LAN to WiFi. Looks quite like a wireless router and behaves in a similar way but is cheaper and simpler. You would go and buy it and then read the manual on how to set it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back