Can't get online with my ethernet card on Windows 98

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there, am having troubles with win98 and my internet connection. In the device manager my card shows up as normal and it tells me that everything with the device is working properly, also my service is through a cable modem if that helps you help me solve the problem. Anyways the lights on the back work and all that but i just cant get internet connection setup to work. I have went through the internet setup wizard, i have never dial a connection selected, and i choose " I want to setup internet connection manually, or i want to connect through a local area network (LAN)", it goes through all that just fine but when i click through and get to the finish and i pop up the internet explore i get nothing but a blank page. if anyone can give me the solution to this problem please please help me. thank you for viewing my thread. gackleman23

I have windows 98 and a cable modem and i just cant seem to get the computer to give me internet access. The eithernet card is a linksys card and it seems to be working and under device manager says that the device is working properly and the lights blink in that back but no internet. not sure what i need to do.:( and all this is happening with or with out the router.

Yes, you can use a ethernet card and router in Windows 98.

In the network control panel applet make sure TCP/IP is installed on your linksys network card. Use winipcfg to find out if the network card was assigned an ip address.

"Possibly" the network card is bad, i've had a few linksys network cards that I just couldn't get to work under Win98. If thats the case look for a card with a realtek chipset, their good on backwards compatibility.

show us how far Net Setup took the settings by getting a command prompt and enter
ipconfig /all >mytcp.txt
then attach that file to your follow-up

how do i get the comand prompt up so i can enter that in. and that file you gave me is what im suppose to enter into my computer that im having problems with?

use Start->go to Run->enter Command
when the window appears, literally type in
  • ipconfig /all >mytcp.txt
the results created by ipconfig to into the file mytcp.txt which can then be given to us
using the Manage Attachments button in your follow-up Reply

sorry i figured out what your sayin lol little slow today.

ok i did that and now i got an icon on destop. clicked on it and i got lots of stuff. it gave me ip address network card showed up in there all kinds of stuff. i would post it on for ya but i cant because that computer isnt the one i can get online with now. sorry so i guess what im asking is what you want to know. if you want me to i will right out on paper and transfer it to here. agian thank you so much

and the patch on this page will work with any modem

sorry so i guess what im asking is what you want to know...

Ok, this is a normal display
Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ltbeard
        Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : [COLOR="Gray"]xxx.yyy[/COLOR]

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : [COLOR="Gray"]xxx.yyy[/COLOR]
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : [COLOR="Gray"]AA-BB-CC-DD-EE-FF[/COLOR]
        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : [COLOR="Blue"]192.168.0[/COLOR].4
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : [COLOR="Blue"]192.168.0[/COLOR].1
        DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : [COLOR="Blue"]192.168.0[/COLOR].1
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 208.67.222.222
        Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, March 16, 2009 5:31:24 PM
        Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 18, 2038 8:14:07 PM

C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff>
Things above like xxx.yyy where obscured for MY security

Whatever you have for Gateway, DHCP and DNS should be like 192.168.0.1 with the blue portion the same
(unless you're directly connected to the modem)

If necessary COPY the above and Paste+edit to match your settings

Ok, this is a normal display
Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ltbeard
        Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : [COLOR="Gray"]xxx.yyy[/COLOR]

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : [COLOR="Gray"]xxx.yyy[/COLOR]
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : [COLOR="Gray"]AA-BB-CC-DD-EE-FF[/COLOR]
        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : [COLOR="Blue"]192.168.0[/COLOR].4
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : [COLOR="Blue"]192.168.0[/COLOR].1
        DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : [COLOR="Blue"]192.168.0[/COLOR].1
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 208.67.222.222
        Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, March 16, 2009 5:31:24 PM
        Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 18, 2038 8:14:07 PM

C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff>
Things above like xxx.yyy where obscured for MY security

Whatever you have for Gateway, DHCP and DNS should be like 192.168.0.1 with the blue portion the same
(unless you're directly connected to the modem)

If necessary COPY the above and Paste+edit to match your settings

ok i looked at some things on there and i dont have much for numbers. i would just post it on here but i wont be able to. sorry. I did notice were yours says hybrid mine says broadcast? i basicly have a ip address on the addapter and a 2.555.555.555 or what ever it is. but that is about it for numbers. another thing i noticed was theres no expires date but i have a lease obtained date. idk please dont give up on me man you are the only one that has got me anywere on this lol.

ok i now notice i have no number for gateway. I noticed the lights on my modem for the sending light, it blinks as soon as i plug it into my new computer but when i have it pugged into the computer you are helping me with it does nothing. ?????????????

ethernet trouble

i put a new ethernet card in a windows 98 computer and i cant get online with it i don't know the name of the ethernet some one gave me it and i put it in and i cant get online. i have a router hooked up to another computer and that one i can get on fine i have a cable modem

Did Windows detect it and install the correct driver? If not you are going to have to figure out what card it is and get the correct driver.

Also check your Internet Options control panel (or the settings or something in IE they are the same thing) and make sure you are set to never dial a connection, or at least dial when a network connection is not available.

Check that you have DNS servers configured correctly. As far as I know, 98 doesn't get them automatically with DHCP queries.

Go to network properties, then TCP/IP properties for your adapter, then DNS configuration tab. Enter the servers in "DNS server search order" list. If you don't know the addresses, you can probably check with some newer Windows by ipconfig /all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back