Cant get Windows Update to work

Status
Not open for further replies.

vegasgmc

I installed a new hard drive in my Compaq laptop and did Windows XP install wth the restore disks. After the restore, I was able to use Windows Update to get all the updates that were available but didnt get SP 3. But since then whenever I go to get updates , the updates show up but it always shows the download size at 0kb and when I click on install, the installation window pops up and then it says"the following updates were not installed" but no error messages. ive never seen this before. Thanks

Something like that happened to me once with Windows Update but it was just a few updates. In my case I used System Restore and was able to install the updates all over again as if nothing had happened before.

I have the same problem. I reinstalled XP from the HP system restore disks, got it all set up, installed SP3, MSIE7, Media player 11, etc. Now there's about 6 more updates, including a couple of criticals, that won't install. What's up with that, MS?

Fixed it. The version of Windows on the restore dvd was missing about 7 regsrv.32 dll's. Got them from the troubleshooter on the update site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back