Can't install windows Xp

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI i have got a friends pc he had windows xp on it worked fine first time installing it about a year ago but trying to do it now will not work you boot up from the windows xp disk and try to install it cant pick up the hard drive if you start the install while running xp like put the disk in while it is booted up and do it that why it does the pre installion stuff but once it restart and loads all the things it blue screens lol. Odd thing is that windows 95 and windows 2000 installs no problem and it is also werid that it has been install before no problems and the only difrence to the computer now instead of before is now it has a wireless card and a 56k modem in it but i tryed taking them out and doing it same thing so any one have any thoughts please let me know

ok,
slow down. i can't clearly understand your statements.
you can't boot from a windows xp cd while the computer is already booted up.
if you already have win-xp on a machine, you can either do a repair install or a clean install.
in either case, the cd must be in the drive, and you turn the pc on. before you do this, you have to stop the machine at BIOS and tell it to boot from cd rom first. by going to boot sequence in BIOS.
post back with more specifics.

is it connected to internet
if so disconnect
who can tell what next microsoft OS's will do
can double check bios make sure cd-rom or dvd comes first on boot order than the hdd turn off floppy seek
disable video shadowing and network boot to disable
please make sure disc is clean
check all cables connected properly
you don't say why you are doing reinstall??

Well i have got somewhere today with it my dad disabled one of the cd roms and it works now. When we first made the computer we had a problem like this it had something to do with raid but the problem was that you just couldn't use it because the computer was thinking it was a raid drive but my dad has looked at it cant figur out what. but worst comes to worst we cant use the second cd drive. If we figur it out ill let ya know what was wrong to help other peopel that may have the same problem. These fourms are really helpful cant beleave how good it is. Thanks for the people that tried to help

...you boot up from the windows xp disk and try to install it cant pick up the hard drive...

From this statement, and your comment about RAID, it would seem that you have SATA hard drives? Or the HDDs are connected to a RAID controller? If so, when XP setup first starts (when booting from CD), you need to press F6 at the first loading screen, so-as to be able to load the RAID/SATA driver later in setup. This will then allow XP setup to "see" your hard drives.
The driver must be loaded to the root of a floppy disk, properly, so XP can read the driver. Check the motherboard manufacturer's web site for the specific driver, it should have instruction on how to make the right driver diskette.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back