Can't see external hard drive on my MacBook Pro

Hello all.

I am very new and am in need of major help. I've had my current external hard drive for about 2 years and use it frequently. A week ago I plugged the USB connection into my laptop, and my external hard drive started making clicking sounds for about 5 minutes and never fully loaded /appeared on the screen. Now if I try to connect the drive, the LED light turn on, but I cannot access the drive. I found a thread from another person (vb/topic172059) that had a similar problem, but there was no solution given.

Can someone please help!!!

Unusual clicking sounds from harddrives are never a good sign. I would guess that the drive inside te enclosure is failing. Try connecting it to another computer and see if it works.

Is it a little external that is powered solely by the USB connection? If so, it MIGHT be that it isn't getting enough power. I've seen that happen with WD external drives on a Powerbook. Those same drives worked fine on a Macbook Pro though...

So in all likelyhood, if the drive is clicking, its dead. Small possibility its just not getting enough power though - Try it on a desktop computer.

Back